Pubs down the Moor - help please

The Pump Tavern was a Tetley's managed house in the 60's and 70's and was quite well respected for food, although I did hear horror stories how 'aunty pump' used to sit there smoking, dropping ash into the food whilst making the sandwiches.

Yes I used to go in the Pump Tavern in the 60's & 70's on my way from work. I remember 'Aunty Pump' buttering bread at the end of the bar with a fag in her mouth and ash dropping onto the bread.

Mick Peircey ran this pub in the 80's - he previously had the Furnival in Pitsmoor and moved from Pump Tavern to the Beehive on West Street. He was a Tetley Manager like myself for quite a few years.

• 9 months later...

Great place to go for lunch in the 60's

As well as the fag ash to this day I remember Auntie Pump asking me "Want am sandwich luv?", while wiping her nose on the back of her hand.

The Pump Tavern was a Tetley's managed house in the 60's and 70's and was quite well respected for food, although I did hear horror stories how 'aunty pump' used to sit there smoking, dropping ash into the food whilst making the sandwiches.

• 3 years later...
My Mother, now in her 90s, says that in the 1920, the Travellers was run by Lord Billie Lee, a former music hall act who, after he retired from the stage, became a artists agent.

When the acts were working at the Palace Attercliffe or the Empire etc many would lodge at the Travellers. She says that Jack Johnson the former Heavyweight champion stayed there and that Lord Billie was in regular contact with New York gangster Owney Madden, (played by Bob Hoskins in the film "The Cotton Club") and used to send him copies of the Yorkshire Post. (Owney originated from Leeds and was a pigeon fancier).

She has photos of the Travellers with Lord Billie and some of his waiters and barstaff, it shows aspidistras and a very clean quite posh pub.

Hi Rob- I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs. Do you have copies of these photos and if so how would you feel about me potentially using them? pm or email me sheffieldpubs@outlook.com

You're showing your age (what the hell am I talking about, so am I?), do you remember Gloria or something similar, the gay barman, along with the Mynah Bird that used to do gay speak?

Well us two have obviously lived. :hihi:

Seriously it was a very old coaching inn, where the London horse drawn coach embarked and returned to, the stables (what was left of them) were still standing in the early 60's, I reckon that the whole thing had gone by 1965.

It was still alive and kicking in 1967, I met my first wife in there end of March that year. There was also another guy behind the bar called Cleo, with back combed hair lol. He and Shirley were always pinching each others bottoms.:banana:

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 23:08 ----------

When it first opened (early seventies?) they did fantastic liver and onion bread cakes.

Are you talking about the Pump, Jim? That pub was open long before the seventies, used to go in there with a workmate and his Dad before and after an occasional night game at Bramall lane ( I only went to take the mick out of the pavilion) in the mid sixties. Always had good food going and free bar snacks.

Fast forward to 1977 attended a wedding reception there, I think the landlord at the time was my then boss's son Garth Hersey. .

Are you talking about the Pump, Jim? That pub was open long before the seventies, used to go in there with a workmate and his Dad before and after an occasional night game at Bramall lane ( I only went to take the mick out of the pavilion) in the mid sixties. Always had good food going and free bar snacks.

Fast forward to 1977 attended a wedding reception there, I think the landlord at the time was my then boss's son Garth Hersey. .

I was talking about the Pump. I might be mistaken but I'm sure I can remember it opening and that wouldn't have been before 1966.

The original Pump apparently opened in 1825. That was on the corner of Earl Street and the Moor (South Street in those days).

I was talking about the Pump. I might be mistaken but I'm sure I can remember it opening and that wouldn't have been before 1966.

The original Pump apparently opened in 1825. That was on the corner of Earl Street and the Moor (South Street in those days).

The times I was talking about would have been mid 60's. I left the place where I worked with the Unitedite, who I mentioned, early 1969 and those trips to the Lane were long before that We used to meet up with his Dad in there. I only knew of the place through them. Must admit it had changed a lot inside by 1977. Maybe it closed and re- opened again.

I.m sure that there was a pub where they built the MFI store at the bottom of the moor called the House of the Rising sun.It was empty in the early 1960,s.Can anybody confirm this?