Pubs down the Moor - help please

Hi Rob- I am writing a book on Sheffield pubs. Do you have copies of these photos and if so how would you feel about me potentially using them? pm or email me sheffieldpubs@outlook.com[/QUO

Oh for a night in a Proper pub like the Travellers .Full of atmosphere and characters who do not exist anymore.No screaming kids not a eating house not a plastic pub but a proper pub.Can we rebuild the Travs and just pretend that it was the sixties all over again please.

I.m sure that there was a pub where they built the MFI store at the bottom of the moor called the House of the Rising sun.It was empty in the early 1960,s.Can anybody confirm this?

That could have been a nickname for the Traveller's LOL:hihi: Just kidding.

• 5 months later...
Hey, don't knock the Barleycorn, that's where I got my first legit pint. Class joint the Barleycorn, first place I got drunk and deaf at the same time.

Was 'Big Ada' in there at the time Texas ?

---------- Post added 28-01-2017 at 22:43 ----------

Both of these were a long way off the Moor.

Yes right Jim, and in response to others, The 'Travellers' was still there well after 1966 and it was the only pub that was actually ON the Moor, Even the 'Nelson' was at Moorhead with it's entrance on Furnival Gate. As for other poster's stating that the bartender 'Shirley' was a 'transvestite', well he was openly gay and dyed his hair blonde but does that qualify as such ? As you and I frequented the place around those times as 'straight' customers-as were the majority-I wonder where do some of these people get their ideas from? Also (to other poster's) The 'Hermitage' was called 'bottom of the Moor' which is a metaphor for the location, as it was on London Road.

Edited by stpetre
Add

The Bricklayers was just off Bramall ln near JACK ARCHERS sports shop I had some very drunken nights in the Brickys :hihi:.

There was another pub around the corner from Jack Archer's, on John Street the 'Great Britain' .

Edited by stpetre
Add