Hallowe'en: The Fiery Jack Tunnel, Bridgehouses/Wicker

superCol

Who should be the next King?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next King?

• William
    • Charles
    • None - bring on the revolution

I used to climb up and down the rocks (over the tunnel) four times a day on my way to and from Pye Bank School (c1944-1948).

It was a twin track tunnel but only one was used in my day. The transfer was always done by an LMS locomotive - usually an 0-6-0 with tender.

There were at least two transfers a day. A train would come up to Bridgehouses around 12:30pm (lunchtime), drop off a string of wagons on the transfer tracks and pick up whatever needed transfering to the LMS. There was another transfer around 7pm. Don't know if there were any overnight transfers.

Some times there were only one or two wagons going in each direction - other times anywhere up to a dozen. Mostly, they seemed to be open wagons (possibly coal wagons being sent back to the pit that owned them), very rarely were they vans.

The railways were nationalized in 1948 so I assume there was different routing of freight and therefore no longer a need to use the tunnel to switch systems.

Regards

yeah they did have overnight transfers, they used to wake me up every night going past the wicker around 1.10am :hihi:

• 2 years later...

hello,

incredibly interested in this bridgehouses tunnel, i didnt even know about bridgehouses train station (though it was before my time), really interesting.

Whereabouts was/is the tunnel located?

• 2 weeks later...

me and some friend(Mick Mcdermott, Start Birch, Lawrence Bannister) were dared to go thro the tunnel when we were kids, and told all the stories about ghost's and other things lerking inside the tunnel...

Had a look down the top of the tunnel the other day, does anyone know when it was closed? ...
It was closed in 1948 according to Cobb's railway atlas. Here is a scan - the blue arrow shows the location of "Spital Hill Tunnel", opened 1846 and closed 1948. The closure was probably due to nationalisation as Falls wrote. I remember the two ends were open and the rails were still there in the early 1960s; I once walked up and down it for a dare..:)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived