Receiving bouquets of flowers

No, it wasn't on 5 years ago!! I am interested in the history of flowers and, when did it become common to send bouquets! Thats all!! More history than General Discussion!

Don't remember any in the fifties, not that we had any spare money to send

flowers, My dad and Grandad had allotments, so the flowers for the house

were Dahlias, Chrysants and Gladdies. Can't stand any of them .Always full of

earwigs. Something else, cant remember when I saw the first flower shop

either.

Don't remember any in the fifties, not that we had any spare money to send

flowers, My dad and Grandad had allotments, so the flowers for the house

were Dahlias, Chrysants and Gladdies. Can't stand any of them .Always full of

earwigs. Something else, cant remember when I saw the first flower shop

either.

I agree with all that, to this day I hate "chrissies", full of ear-wigs!

Like you, my great grandfather used to call down every Sunday from "t'gardin" armed with chrissies, gladdies and dahlias (along with beans etc.) so no-one needed to buy flowers but, not many people could afford them, they were a luxury like boxes of chocolates.

I can only recall one flower shop in Heeley in the 1950's/60's, this was on Well Road at the corner of Tillotson Road, this is where we bought our wedding flowers in 1970.

Probably because of these "showy flowers" of my childhood I only like very small flowers now, freesias being my favourite but, still never received any from the OH after 40 years of marriage.

No, it wasn't on 5 years ago!! I am interested in the history of flowers and, when did it become common to send bouquets! Thats all!! More history than General Discussion!

Yes but don't forget to check your replies in the thread on General Discussion will you?

I agree with all that, to this day I hate "chrissies", full of ear-wigs!

Like you, my great grandfather used to call down every Sunday from "t'gardin" armed with chrissies, gladdies and dahlias (along with beans etc.) so no-one needed to buy flowers but, not many people could afford them, they were a luxury like boxes of chocolates.

I can only recall one flower shop in Heeley in the 1950's/60's, this was on Well Road at the corner of Tillotson Road, this is where we bought our wedding flowers in 1970.

Probably because of these "showy flowers" of my childhood I only like very small flowers now, freesias being my favourite but, still never received any from the OH after 40 years of marriage.

I too love fresias, beautiful flower. I always try to have some flowers in the

house now. Your OH needs a nudge !

Archived