What existed before the big bang? Something must have!

It's not really a discussion if the constant retort is that "I can't concieve of it, so it must be wrong".

Somewhat ironic, considering your statement that scientists are conceited ;)

I don't follow. I haven't made any presumptions have I? What I'm saying is: why would science accept the theory that "nothing" created the universe when they can't explain how or why it happened?.. makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to you?

nothing is not nothing

empty space has energy, particles pairs called "virtual particles" are created and annihilate all the time, these are created by things called quantum fluctuations, which are variations in the energy of free space

and no, you can't see them, but the best theory to date that takes them into account makes predictions that agree with experiment to one part in a million million

so it's pretty good evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations and virtual particles

this theory is quantum electrodynamics which allows you to calculate the interactions of light and electrons - everything that you can see can be calculated with this theory and some surprising predictions have been made that have proven correct

so a theory of the beginning of the universe could go like this

the seed of the big bang appeared from quantum fluctuations in the nothing that existed before the big bang happened

this seed was so violently unstable that it exploded creating the dimensions we exist in and the matter we are made from

this explosion is still continuing today as evidenced by the cosmic microwave background and the Hubble constant -(on average the further away a galaxy it the faster it is receding from us, the Hubble constant is a measure of this average)

the Hubble constant also supports the theory that the universe occupied a smaller volume the further back in time you look until eventually you get to the moment of the big bang

it's a theory

it may be complete rubbish

but the observational evidence to date supports it

if one day someone comes up with evidence that the universe was sneezed out of the nose of the great arkleseizure then the theory will be discarded and a new one will replace it such is the nature of theories

the question I have danot is what is your theory ?

nothing is not nothing

empty space has energy, particles pairs called "virtual particles" are created and annihilate all the time, these are created by things called quantum fluctuations, which are variations in the energy of free space

and no, you can't see them, but the best theory to date that takes them into account makes predictions that agree with experiment to one part in a million million

so it's pretty good evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations and virtual particles

this theory is quantum electrodynamics which allows you to calculate the interactions of light and electrons - everything that you can see can be calculated with this theory and some surprising predictions have been made that have proven correct

so a theory of the beginning of the universe could go like this

the seed of the big bang appeared from quantum fluctuations in the nothing that existed before the big bang happened

this seed was so violently unstable that it exploded creating the dimensions we exist in and the matter we are made from

this explosion is still continuing today as evidenced by the cosmic microwave background and the Hubble constant -(on average the further away a galaxy it the faster it is receding from us, the Hubble constant is a measure of this average)

the Hubble constant also supports the theory that the universe occupied a smaller volume the further back in time you look until eventually you get to the moment of the big bang

it's a theory

it may be complete rubbish

but the observational evidence to date supports it

if one day someone comes up with evidence that the universe was sneezed out of the nose of the great arkleseizure then the theory will be discarded and a new one will replace it such is the nature of theories

the question I have danot is what is your theory ?

Read or watched this theory before, recent I think. Very interesting.

I don't think it's going to be as interesting as Danots theory though. :hihi:

Archived