What existed before the big bang? Something must have!

Nope. Sorry, Obelix, you're confusing cause and effect there.

The effect, as everyone knows, is that you will plummet to your messy and colourful and idiosyncratically-sounding death.

The cause, on the other hand, is not known for certain. The current, widely accepted, theory is, as you say, the "theory of graivity".

Sorry lad it is a Law of Gravity.

It is one of the fundemental Laws of the Universe.

Anyone who disputes it is a fool,and has no knowledge whatsoever of the rules of Nature.

He's a troll. Either by inclination or nature. Pay him no heed - I intend to no further.

Aww, come on, Ob... Don't give up. Remember, many others will be reading the thread and many are probably learning something from it. The requirement for continual repetition will be helping to reinforce that learning.

If he'd just said, "oh yeah, thanks" after the first response, the thread would now be forgotten and unread by most.

Also, everyone gets something out of taking part in these threads ... For me, two spring to mind immediately...

Firstly, I intend to read up on the research you referred to a couple of pages ago. You'll not be surprised to learn that this is the area of physics which invites the most interest and questioning from my GCSE students and while I'm secure with the basics ... most of the ideas covered on this thread ... and therefore able to deal with most of the questions, it never hurts to know a little more.

Secondly ... I made myself chuckle when writing post 345 and that cannot be a bad thing. To be fair, though, I couldn't have done it without danot's feed line - he is truly the Ernie to my Eric.

Sorry lad it is a Law of Gravity.

It is one of the fundemental Laws of the Universe.

Anyone who disputes it is a fool,and has no knowledge whatsoever of the rules of Nature.

I'm not disputing it ... Just distinguishing between the effect and the cause. You referred to the effect as the cause.

Careful, Ob., you're mixing your cause & effect again...

Not in the slightest. The theory of gravity is also a law. The two coexist side by side quite happily. The fact of gravitation attraction cannot be doubted. The theory that makes predictions is also undoubtable as these are testable and observed to be the case. Hence the theory of gravity is also a law, and a fact.

Yes, you make some fair points. Although, to conclude that the findings of test A) are true, simply because the findings of test B)(the only alternative)is deemed paradoxically untrue, doesn't sit well with me, because the findings of test A) are proved true by default. There's no truth in the theory.

But that's nothing to do with science; that's pure logic. If there are only two possibilities, and one of them is not true, the other one must be true.

Not in the slightest. The theory of gravity is also a law. The two coexist side by side quite happily. The fact of gravitation attraction cannot be doubted. The theory that makes predictions is also undoubtable as these are testable and observed to be the case. Hence the theory of gravity is also a law, and a fact.

Not sure I agree, there. Apologies if we're just getting into semantics.

The effects of gravity are undisputable and prove, pretty much, that gravitational "attraction" exists. No problems there.

The explanation of why that attraction exists ... the cause... is theory.

Newton referred to it as a force ... that works for me both in terms of teaching it and in terms of not walking off the top of Stanage, Froggatt or Raven Crag.

Einstein came along, though, and led us to believe it's because of curved spacetime, not a simple force ... that, unless I'm out of date, is the current theory. It may change at some point in the future.

Archived