'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

The bit of road mentioned was 30 when I was using it 2 years ago.

There are ruddy great 30 signs as you get to it.

If the poster thinks it's not well marked he should get to specsavers rapid (but inside the speed limits)

I'm not sure Geff said when he got his ticket....

The bit of road mentioned was 30 when I was using it 2 years ago.

There are ruddy great 30 signs as you get to it.

If the poster thinks it's not well marked he should get to specsavers rapid (but inside the speed limits)

It was changed early in 2009 , you are wrong. Nothing new there then!:)

It was changed, I believe , as the result of a motorbike fatality. Nobody can legislate for the speeds that motorbikes do on the roads in that area.

Besides, the ACPO guidelines are strict, cameras can only be sited where there have been deaths or casualties.

Have you ever heard of someone passing their driving test despite speeding? Knowing the speed limit of the road you are on is a pretty basic part of driving skill, any competent driver can manage it no trouble.

Besides, the ACPO guidelines are strict, cameras can only be sited where there have been deaths or casualties.

Have you ever heard of someone passing their driving test despite speeding? Knowing the speed limit of the road you are on is a pretty basic part of driving skill, any competent driver can manage it no trouble.

I know people who have failed for driving too slow - or inappropriately for the traffic conditions.

I won't debate the first part again but siffice to say a traffic camera has existed in Aston cum Aughton for 20 years and to my knowledge neither has ever happened.

I refuse to engage in further discussion with someone who is not blind but simply refuses to see.

Try 2003:

11/05/2003

http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/az/FACE_SC_DETAIL_PROC?pSpecRef=SPEC29

Total number of crashes where people have been hurt (1999 - 2001) 11

Total number of people killed or seriously injured (1999 - 2001) 5

Stop posting porkies geff

That doesn't say when the limit was reduced,only when the camera was installed...or just where it is..

How can a guideline be strict....it's just a guideline....the guidelines also say no prosecution for < 35mph in a 30..do you agree with that?

Government Guidelines For Placement of Speed Cameras

Where can the police, councils and camera partnerships place speed cameras? The government have a set of guidelines that authorities must adhere to when considering the location for a new camera.

There is a slightly different criteria for fixed, mobile, and digital sites. Further rules govern visibility and signing - see the column on the left of this page for details.

Criteria for fixed site cameras (e.g. GATSO)

Criteria Details

1. Site length Between 400 & 1500 meters

2. Number of fatal & serious collisions At least 4 per Km in last 3 calendar years (not per annum)

3. Number of personal injury collisions 8 per Km in last 3 years

4. Causation factors Collisions where causation factors are not speed related must not be included

5. 85th percentile speed at or approaching collision hot spot 85th percentile speed at or above ACPO guidance (10% plus 2mph) for free flowing traffic (excluding rush hour). Partnerships must have a strategy to move thresholds to the ACPO guidance level by April 2005

6. Percentage over the speed limit At least 20% of drivers are exceeding the speed limit, excluding congestion period

7. Site conditions suitable for type of enforcement Loading and unloading the camera can take place safely

8. Distribution of collisions Collisions are clustered close together around a single stretch of road or junction

9. No other engineering solution is appropriate There has been a site survey by a road safety engineer and there are no other obvious practical measure to improve road safety along this stretch of road.

10. Camera visibility Enforcement cameras are well signed and highly visible in line with DfT guidelines

http://www.speedcameras.org/speed_cameras_guidelines.htm

these rules seem stupid to me.

residents clamour for a speed camera and the cops say

"Sorry, nobody's died yet|!"

Archived