'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

The idea of speed cameras is to promote safety by reducing speed, yes? If drivers go through speed traps at the speed they were at anyway, they have failed in their main purpose to slow that driver to a "safe" speed, have they not? In other words it has failed in the very purpose for its existance, so if it can't do the job it was invented for, what's the point in it being there at all?
The effective range of a fixed camera is measured in yards (a couple of hundreds, at most?), not miles. A regularly-speeding driver will slow down for the camera, then mash it once past the ground markings.

To do the job you suggest effectively, you would need an unending succession of speed cameras along every road...or speed-averaging cameras, which are absolutely best-suited to achieve the purpose.

To my mind, the purpose (and location) of fixed cameras is to slow down speeding drivers in those areas wherein speeding is most likely, and to be a contributing factor for frequent accidents (i.e. proven blackspots). So it is a safety device, more than anything. But insufficient/inapt to deter speeding generally (away from blackspots and/or beyond the catchment area of a fixed cam).

What a very unscientific study. I hope Swindon Council does not rely on such shallow data for everything they do.

You could argue that there has been a massive increase in fatal accidents since the cameras were switched off as it rose from zero to one!

I am not saying that the government has not used this method of spped enforcement for raising revenue but if the people who are against them had any guts they would call for all speed limits to not be enforced. The next logical step for Swindon is that they remove all speed restrictions on their roads as there is no point in having limits if they are not enforced.

On the other hand, just remeber who it is who creates the speed limits in the forst place - the council! How ironic that these incompetetents should admit that they are creating speed limits for the fun of it!

Or could it be that their current lack of support was due to a prominent council member getting caught too many times?

I think I may be getting warmer!!

Err, going from 0 to 1 is a 100% increase, the cameras were turned off before the fatal accident.

You claimed accidents didn't rise.

Fatal accidents rose by 100% after the cameras were turned off.

Erm you clearly cannot follow the article:

In the six months after the fixed cameras were switched off at the end of July, nine accidents were recorded - the same number as in the equivalent period the year before.

My bold, that would be July 2009.

In the six months from August 2008 there were eight minor accidents and one fatal.

My bold, six months from August 2008 would predate the switch off date of July 2009.

Between August last year and January, there were seven minor injury accidents and two serious ones - neither fatal - at the four sites monitored by the cameras.

Between August and January 2009? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's after the cameras were switched off in July 2009?

A Swindon woman whose son was killed when he was hit by a car is campaigning for speed cameras in the town to be switched back on.

The borough council was the first English local authority to abandon fixed speed cameras one year ago.

Caroline Hannah, whose seven-year-old son Tyrese died in March 2008, has now joined forces with the road safety charity Brake.

Swindon Council is introducing alternative traffic calming measures.

Tyrese and his dog were hit by a car speeding in the 30mph zone on Swindon's Drove Road.

The driver was jailed for three years for causing death by dangerous driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10809749

A Swindon woman whose son was killed when he was hit by a car is campaigning for speed cameras in the town to be switched back on.

The borough council was the first English local authority to abandon fixed speed cameras one year ago.

Caroline Hannah, whose seven-year-old son Tyrese died in March 2008, has now joined forces with the road safety charity Brake.

Swindon Council is introducing alternative traffic calming measures.

Tyrese and his dog were hit by a car speeding in the 30mph zone on Swindon's Drove Road.

The driver was jailed for three years for causing death by dangerous driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10809749

So he was killed before the cameras were switched off, which proves the cameras had no signifance in his tragic death.

From the same article.

"Overall, the number of accidents and casualties across Swindon has fallen."

Archived