'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

A Swindon woman whose son was killed when he was hit by a car is campaigning for speed cameras in the town to be switched back on.

The borough council was the first English local authority to abandon fixed speed cameras one year ago.

Caroline Hannah, whose seven-year-old son Tyrese died in March 2008, has now joined forces with the road safety charity Brake.

Swindon Council is introducing alternative traffic calming measures.

Tyrese and his dog were hit by a car speeding in the 30mph zone on Swindon's Drove Road.

The driver was jailed for three years for causing death by dangerous driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10809749

Forum rules - you should provide your own comment when copying & pasting text from other sites.

The council admits that with only four fixed camera sites, the figures could be 'a blip'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1268392/Town-scrapped-speed-cameras-sees-increase-accidents.html#ixzz0wDcneNuw

Besides, they've only scrapped 4 fixed cameras, mobile cameras continue to be used to catch criminals.

The leader of the council has speeding convictions, the only worthwhile conclusion you can draw from swindon is that criminals don't like speed cameras!

The council admits that with only four fixed camera sites, the figures could be 'a blip'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1268392/Town-scrapped-speed-cameras-sees-increase-accidents.html#ixzz0wDcneNuw

Besides, they've only scrapped 4 fixed cameras, mobile cameras continue to be used to catch criminals.

The leader of the council has speeding convictions, the only worthwhile conclusion you can draw from swindon is that criminals don't like speed cameras!

I like speed cameras - i've been convicted of speeding. You mistake the disapproval of money making non accident preventing cash machines or a an admission of exceeding the speed limit as something that it isn't.

That's because they know where the fixed cameras are - because they're fixed, bright yellow and usually marked on sat navs.

There used to be a speed camera in Renishaw as you leave the M1 - as it was in breach of the law it was removed. The warning signs still remain, almost everyone still slows down to 30 at the same point.

Source please

For what?

The camera was there for 10 years, they introduced the new stringent laws on road safety re: accidents and casualties and it was removed, you really think they'll admit to removing it.

I'm basing it on the evidence you provided for positioning of cameras on what my summary of the scenario was.

We're still waiting for your evidence re: Swindon,every bit you've posted doesn't uphold retaining cameras.

For what?

The camera was there for 10 years, they introduced the new stringent laws on road safety re: accidents and casualties and it was removed, you really think they'll admit to removing it.

I'm basing it on the evidence you provided for positioning of cameras on what my summary of the scenario was.

We're still waiting for your evidence re: Swindon,every bit you've posted doesn't uphold retaining cameras.

Your source that it was illegal please.

Since speed cameras cannot , ever, be illegal.

The guidlelines are set by ACPO, as I've explained upthread.

Speed cameras cannot be in breach of the law.

Which is why the camera isn't there now, it isn't in breach of anything,NOW. Search for Renishaw and try and find 4 fatalaties on the same stretch of road, hence the camera was removed.

Archived