'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

As the thread is about the illegal activities of usually law abiding citizens i wonder if any of the people who keep bleating on about speeding are truly innocent of anything illegal.

An irrelevant question. A fairer comparison would be with people who are committing illegal acts and argue that nobody should be allowed to check up on them.

So far, I've seen precisely zero cases on this thread.

Cyclist KSI rates up 19%

Always best to source figures:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/nov/06/cycle-casualties-deaths-statistics

killed and serious injuries lumped together: cyclists:

1994-1998 3732

2007 2654

2008 2565

2009 2710 (so, yes up 5.6% from the year before but down considerably from 10 years before.)

Deaths (on their own)

1994-1998 186

2007 136

2008 115

2009 104

A mixed picture, therefore. If you'd like a link to the full stats rather than an out-of-date part-year Grauniad version of it, please ask.

Cycling rates are vastly higher now than in the mid nineties so looking at flat accident rates is misleading since the chances of an individual cyclist being in an accident have actually decreased. Cycling is safer now than it was in the nineties, following the truism that more cyclists= safer roads.

That said, cycling is far safer on the continent, partly because of the Assumed Liability laws that exist there.

Nope, I cited the press coverage of child abductions when they are vastly, gigantically outnumbered by deaths on the roads.

You used the typical anti-motorist/Brake method of always managing to lump paedophiles and motorists in the same catagory...it's so obvious

You used the typical anti-motorist/Brake method of always managing to lump paedophiles and motorists in the same catagory...it's so obvious

Being anti-speeding is not anti-motorist.

Nobody compared motorists to paedophiles, I mentioned the way the newspapers cover stories.

Come to think of it, that's another reason too much oughtn't be read into the Swindon accident figures. We are in the grip of a recession, people are driving less and accidents have decreased nationally. Fewer journeys= fewer accidents.

Without traffic volume rates the stats are even more meaningless.

Archived