'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry, I thought we were still on your hypothetical empty motorway.

In the real world though I'm fine with it, just stick to the Code. Pretty straightforward really.

I take it you can recite the Highway Code and confirm you follow it to the letter?

I take it you can recite the Highway Code and confirm you follow it to the letter?

I follow the Highway Code to the best of my ability, just as I was taught. Hardly a criticism I would have thought?

Let's face it, It isn't really rocket science. With the millions of drivers out there who have passed their tests, it can't be that difficult to learn. Problems only arise when drivers decide that it isn't really for them, maybe they don't like being told what to do.

Do you deliberately flout it?

I follow the Highway Code to the best of my ability, just as I was taught. Hardly a criticism I would have thought?

Let's face it, It isn't really rocket science. With the millions of drivers out there who have passed their tests, it can't be that difficult to learn. Problems only arise when drivers decide that it isn't really for them, maybe they don't like being told what to do.

To the best of your ability? So you conceed then that you don't or can't 100% of the time? Do you deliberately flout it?

I wouldn't expect you can, it is not possible to follow the Highway Code to the letter 100% of the time, since that would make you an error-less driver, since humans are fallible, errorless driving is not possible. I don't think it makes you a bad driver, however lecturing others about it does make you a hypocrit.

Where does it say you must not move lane to allow someone to join the motorway?

are you the type of driver who doggedly stays in the inside lane on an empty motorway when you could make it easier for someone else to join?

The matrix signs - when not giving traffic details - occasionally say things like "Keep to the inside lane unless overtaking".

If the motorway is empty, then surely its a quiet time. Ergo, the slip road will also be quiet and the joining traffic (ie one car) can easily judge its speed and merge either before or after the car in lane 1?

Where does it say you must not move lane to allow someone to join the motorway?

When you were learning to drive you would (should) have been taught to refrain from any manoeuvre that would cause another vehicle to change speed or direction. If you follow that very simple principle you'll be a great driver. If everyone did it we'd slash the number of accidents, deaths and injuries.

Simple plans are always the best.

The matrix signs - when not giving traffic details - occasionally say things like "Keep to the inside lane unless overtaking".

If the motorway is empty, then surely its a quiet time. Ergo, the slip road will also be quiet and the joining traffic (ie one car) can easily judge its speed and merge either before or after the car in lane 1?

Staying in the nearside lane for the sake of it illustrates a dangerous lack of the ability to think imo and should not be driving, a danger to other road users.

Archived