'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

Rubbish, there are plenty of situations were speeding causes no problems to anyone whatsoever. !

Do you go back along the road you have broken the law on and ask every other driver, pedestrian, cyclist, old person and child whether your behaviour was a worry to them?

You have no idea what impact your criminal actions have on them, since you don't ask.

If, according to The British Crime Survey speeding is the number-one anti-social behaviour that people complain about it would appear you're posting from inside a deluded, self-interested bubble.

Why not just leave more time for your journey, then you won't break the law and upset people?l

Speed cameras cost lives. See the Swindon experiment.

At first I figured you just to be a little predictable, dishing out the same old rhetoric.

However it seems you've gone one better and become an insightful and worthy debater.

Sorry for prejudging.

L00b yes totally agree car maintenance is definitely a factor. Just this morning I passed a car and the rear wheel wasn't actually attached properly and the wheel was wobbling all over the place!
And that's precisely the point: speed cameras, for all their rights and/or wrongs, do not record a vehicle condition, which may be conductive of an accident (whether speeding or not - speeding will only be an aggravating factor, not a deciding factor).

A traffic officer does, however. Hopefully, even if the car in question still benefits from a valid MOT ('on paper').

I'm not a slow driver. Never have been. And not hypocritical with it either, as I'll be the first to put my hand up if a traffic officer stops me for it. Have done so a few times, and more than half the times I have been given the benefit of the doubt or the benefit of the officer's discretion.

Then again, I have always been taught to be responsible for my own actions, and not to try and blame others when actions don't go as planned. In the same mindset, I wouldn't drive a vehicle which I know, or have reason to believe, to be mechanically deficient or unsound, at any speed, legal or otherwise.

I was once caught doing around 90mph on the M18 by the police. I was lucky. The police didn't stop me, they just pulled along side my car (after I had slowed down to 70mph having seen them in the mirror :)), the copper in the passanger seat just told me to slow down before they sped off. They could see the traffic was clear and I wasn't driving dangerously so they used their discretion.

The only difference between speeding and driving slowly or dangerously or in any manner that would constitute a failure for the driving test is that i'm the only one likely to get a fine.

Make it a non criminal offence and voila we're all equal again.

At first I figured you just to be a little predictable, dishing out the same old rhetoric.

However it seems you've gone one better and become an insightful and worthy debater.

Sorry for prejudging.

I really do not know you! Are you trying to hit on me or something? I am not gay.

Archived