'Hypocrisy' of speeding middle-class motorists

Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a hypocrite speeding motorist?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone who drives will know that as people approach speed cameras they brake and as they leave them, they accelerate causing erratic driving for people behind them and thus causing accidents.

Exactly people are that paranoid and incapable of driving correctly, if a speed camera says 40 why hit the brakes and dropto 25, completely beyond me. If you're scared to drive at 40, catch a bus.

Exactly people are that paranoid and incapable of driving correctly, if a speed camera says 40 why hit the brakes and dropto 25, completely beyond me. If you're scared to drive at 40, catch a bus.

You never know if they're discreetly placed a 30mph sign a few yards before the camera to catch you out.

I believe that's the very hypocrisy being referred to by the Chief Constable - people who think that they get to choose which laws to follow.

The Chief Constable is barking up the wrong tree I reckon, people absolutely do get to choose which laws they follow. You cannot be compelled to obey the law, it's up to you to choose to do so.

But knowingly breaking the law places a moral obligation on you to plead guilty to the court, where you may try to mitigate the offence.

If you speed knowingly and get caught, and then waste time and money by contesting the allegation, you are a hypocrite and a parasite.

The Chief Constable is barking up the wrong tree I reckon, people absolutely do get to choose which laws they follow. You cannot be compelled to obey the law, it's up to you to choose to do so.

But knowingly breaking the law places a moral obligation on you to plead guilty to the court, where you may try to mitigate the offence.

If you speed knowingly and get caught, and then waste time and money by contesting the allegation, you are a hypocrite and a parasite.

Well said that man.

You never know if they're discreetly placed a 30mph sign a few yards before the camera to catch you out.

I have been the victim of a change in speed limits. It was a stretch of road where the limit was changed overnight form 40 to 30 MPH. The police marked up the change in speed limit very indistinctly so as it was difficult to see. They then put a van complete with camera on the stretch for several weeks and collected many "sixty quids". At the end of this period they marked the new speed limit with much bigger signs and withdrew the vans. It was in North Yorkshire and was VERY underhand indeed!

How many criminals follow that "moral obligation", considering they failed in their obligation not to break the law?

Everybody is entitled to a defence, otherwise the state would arbitrarily charge folk with anything.

I have been the victim of a change in speed limits. It was a stretch of road where the limit was changed overnight form 40 to 30 MPH. The police marked up the change in speed limit very indistinctly so as it was difficult to see. They then put a van complete with camera on the stretch for several weeks and collected many "sixty quids". At the end of this period they marked the new speed limit with much bigger signs and withdrew the vans. It was in North Yorkshire and was VERY underhand indeed!

Which road?

It would be polite if you could tell us where you find yourself unable to prevent speeding...

If you think you're Competent Driver Who Sometimes Speeds but are unable to spot a reflective yellow box at the side of the road and adjust your speed in time to avoid a fine...

Guess which group you're really in.

Kids and elderly people aren't covered in yellow reflective material.

Archived