Tribal girl stripped over 'affair', molested by hundreds in Bengal

Slightly off topic, but sort of on, but do you know what happens to the female if she becomes pregnant for a second time and gives birth? Is she fined? I'm presuming they don't go as far as compulsary abortions.

EDIT: I'm referring to China and it's one child policy.

Yes, they have to pay a large fine.

Nobody came to james Bulger's aid. There was cctv footage of New Yorkers walking past a man who had been stabbed to death. Nobody helped. People get involved in drunken violence every night of the week, passers by keep going. lack of humanity is common across humans, not confined to Indians.

To suggest other wise is plainly racist, which was the whole point of the OP post-and-run style.

Noone passing by in any of those situations joined in with the abuse though - that's what appears to be happening here - very, very odd... Very different to walking past a potential crime (which may or may not be obvious to a passerby)

Slightly off topic, but sort of on, but do you know what happens to the female if she becomes pregnant for a second time and gives birth? Is she fined? I'm presuming they don't go as far as compulsary abortions.

EDIT: I'm referring to China and it's one child policy.

Compulsory abortion is used. I saw it on a documentary once and they used a huge hypodermic needle straight into the foetus through the woman's stomach. It was horrific. I think there are financial disincentives too

I've read the link the op posted, and am welling up with tears. This is truly barbaric and stomach turning, being beaten by sticks, molested, and stones thrown at her! It's time our government started taking a stance in these matters.

they are to busy killing innocent civilians and british soldiers in a neighbouring country.

they are to busy killing innocent civilians and british soldiers in a neighbouring country.

Who are too busy killing innocent civilians and British soldiers in a neighbouring country? The Bengalis or the Indians? I'm a bit puzzled.

India has no border with Afghanistan which is possibly the country you mean. It has a border with Pakistan and there may be some British soldiers fighting there, I don't know.

It is sickening how these utterly barbaric practices, punishing the female for having 'transgressed', still exist. And what is even more sickening is the fact that video footage of this heinous incident are undoubtedly doing the rounds and mark my words, there will be sickos out there who relish in schadenfreude watching the torture of this poor girl. Aside from the physical scars, how will she ever come to terms with the trauma of this? She will also be considered a social outcast.

The caste system in India seems mostly confined to rural areas these days and it is like something of a bygone age and sadly violence and hate crimes can be motivated by caste.

One of the best (albeit harrowing, depressing and bleak) novels that I've ever read is Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance, one of the themes of which is the caste system. India does have a very turbulent history.

To be fair, and speaking as a poster who's one of the more consistent in not playing down abuses of various kinds, the original poster has frequently revealed a particular agenda, and is also quite fond of downplaying if an outrage is at all connected to *his side*.

There is potential for barbarity everywhere, it's easier to condemn when it's done by the 'Other', the real test is whether people can recognize the tendencies within their own society group to behave appallingly and speak out just the same.

Agreed.

Compulsory abortion is used. I saw it on a documentary once and they used a huge hypodermic needle straight into the foetus through the woman's stomach. It was horrific. I think there are financial disincentives too

The human rights abuses in China and the single child per couple policy are horrific, although I gather that in some areas, the latter has been relaxed.

I have read of women being captured, after having been forced to go into hiding, and having injections of formaldehyde in the baby's fontanelle as it is being born. It is absolutely appalling and nothing more than state sanctioned infanticide. This book was chilling and disturbing read and gave me nightmares for days.

I think that there are financial disincentives most notably with restricted access to key services, such as education as well as imposed financial penalties.

Archived