Tory MP Tells Constituents “Don’t email me…it’s becoming a real nuisance”

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/08/raab-to-face-the-wrath-of-dale/

Tory blogger Iain Dale was spitting blood yesterday over the tactics of lobby groups like 38 Degrees in the wake of Raab-gate, yet today it has emerged that Tory MPs – including Raab – have been engaged in precisely the same practice he and Dale both abhor: cloning the same email in replies to constituents.

Dozens of Tory MPs sent exactly the same email in response to concerns about the BBC being under threat – with Raab himself cloning almost word-for-word the standard Tory response email then sending it on, rather similar to what he’s attacking 38 Degrees members for doing.

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2010/08/raab-to-face-the-wrath-of-dale/

Tory blogger Iain Dale was spitting blood yesterday over the tactics of lobby groups like 38 Degrees in the wake of Raab-gate, yet today it has emerged that Tory MPs – including Raab – have been engaged in precisely the same practice he and Dale both abhor: cloning the same email in replies to constituents.

Dozens of Tory MPs sent exactly the same email in response to concerns about the BBC being under threat – with Raab himself cloning almost word-for-word the standard Tory response email then sending it on, rather similar to what he’s attacking 38 Degrees members for doing.

oh dear, Generally speaking I know that I have no interest in what someone has to say when they refer to some minor controversy as 'whatever-gate'. It's usually an indicator that the event in question is not a big deal at all.

He has only been an MP a few months. How does he know lobby groups are becoming a problem?

Maybe as his name has become known he has received more and more of this junk mail.

Who are you to say he does not know about lobby groups?

The ONLY thing we can do is take his views on face value and as the otherwise of this argument has openly misquoted him to gain both news inches and try to pain the MP in question in a bad light, I'm more inclined to believe the MP.

Maybe as his name has become known he has received more and more of this junk mail.

Who are you to say he does not know about lobby groups?

The ONLY thing we can do is take his views on face value and as the otherwise of this argument has openly misquoted him to gain both news inches and try to pain the MP in question in a bad light, I'm more inclined to believe the MP.

That you think letters (from templates or not) from his constituents are junk mail, explains you reaction to the story. It is however his job to representing his consituents, that is how our democracy works.

On face value either he is lazy and doesn't want to do the job he was elected to do or an incompetent idiot.

And as Stoatwobbler has pointed out, he is also a hypocrite. :hihi:

I think I might email him to say so... :hihi:

That you think letters (from templates or not) from his constituents are junk mail, explains you reaction to the story

No, I claim templates with nothing more then a name at the bottom as junk and rightly so. If you think that is an effective way to communicate with people, that is your view, but I suppose you have never received hundreds of messages all the same via email. You seem to spend so much time on here, dishing out your "knowledge" in just about every subject, I doubt you get time to read emails or letters.

In any case, the title of "Forum armchair expert on every subject" is most fitting to your case, however, I, and many others see you for what you are. A wiki/google paster an little else.

You cannot speak for the person in question, neither can you make any form of judgement as to the number of messages he has received by the means discussed, but that doesn't stop you from telling everyone what to think or to make claims that are unfounded and totality baseless.

Your'e an armchair know it all, and nothing more. Toodle pip old bean.

Could we also then say that a petition with 20,000 signatures is not worthy because its not 20,000 handwritten letters on headed notepaper?

I think its a little technophobic. As an MP you are required to have an email address in the public domain - of course you're going to get spam, ranging from this or that template email on whatever issue to 'du yu wnt bi v1@gra' stuff..

If he is having problems sorting his emails he ought to do what most MPs do and hire a politics student/Young Conservative intern to do it for him and report what his constituents are concerned about.

No, I claim templates with nothing more then a name at the bottom as junk and rightly so. blah, blah, rant, rant

Your'e an armchair know it all, and nothing more. Toodle pip old bean.

you seem a trifle upset. I may not receive as many e-mails as this mp but I receive enough to know that template e-mails are not the problem he makes them out to be

I

Dominic Raab, Conservative MP for Esher & Walton is threatening 38 Degrees that if we don’t take his email address off our “contact your MP system” he’ll report us to the Information Commissioner.

We’ve been in touch with the Information Commissioner and they’ve reassured us that because he is an MP and his e-mail address is in the public domain, he has no grounds to report us.

We let Mr Raab know this and he responded by having the House of Commons remove his e-mail address from their website. We spoke to the Information Commisioner’s office and again they reassured us that because he is an MP and because his email address is in the public domain we’re in the right by letting his constituents get in touch with him.

We want to be totally transparent about this, so we’re publishing a copy of all the e-mails between 38 Degrees and Mr Raab below.

http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2010/08/09/dominic-raab-tells-constituents-dont-email-me/

I like the last bit of the Mirror article:

Don't Bother Mr Raab At: dominic.raab.mp@ parliament.uk
:hihi:

Archived