When can I fly after a hip replacement?

Legally you do not need insurance to fly, but - depending on where you are going - not having any could be a seriously bad idea. If we are talking about the USA, for example, if you fly there without insurance and your hip goes kablooie it could cost you a five-figure sum to have it dealt with.

i'm not sure how long you have to leave it, but you can fly after having hip replacement - my mother has had both done and travels loads. imagine she is not going without insurance too! will ask her... only bit of note tho is that she always sets off the metal detectors now so she carries a laminated letter from her surgeon explaining what pins and bits she has!

How long a flight is it?

I wouldn't have thought that flying was out of the question - after all, people have their hips replaced in eastern European countries and I would have thought that they would more than likely fly back.

However, with the operation increasing the risk of a deep vein thrombosis, I would certainly take some medical advice (probably from your consultant) before flying.

The other thing to consider is mobility. Both my mother and mother-in-law have had hip replacements and, whilst their mobility is now much improved, the operation does take a while to recover from and I'm not sure whether they would have been ready for sitting on an aircraft seat after ten weeks.

G

How long a flight is it?

I wouldn't have thought that flying was out of the question - after all, people have their hips replaced in eastern European countries and I would have thought that they would more than likely fly back.

However, with the operation increasing the risk of a deep vein thrombosis, I would certainly take some medical advice (probably from your consultant) before flying.

The other thing to consider is mobility. Both my mother and mother-in-law have had hip replacements and, whilst their mobility is now much improved, the operation does take a while to recover from and I'm not sure whether they would have been ready for sitting on an aircraft seat after ten weeks.

G

thanks big g, flight is only 2hrs( spain ) and the doc was a bit vague saying officially ( he thought ) 12 weeks but then said it may be ok in 10 weeks . He then said that some airlines would not let you fly and some would not.At that point i was confused and so got back to the subject of the operation. At no point would i ever consider flying with no insurance but as i said it is a family holiday and was hoping there was a solution somewhere.

Archived