Diabetes : make an informed choice

Oh please. Its only thats serious if you keep eating the McDonalds, 5 sugars in your coffee and eat no veg, against your doctors advice for many years.

Its not bad science. Its what every doctor advises. These people are just using that to sell the whole raw food thing.

You still haven't answered the point about where the insulin to regulate the glucose going into and out of the bloodstream is meant to come from in these circumstances.

PT doesn't eat McDonalds, eats plenty of veg because she's vegetarian etc- exactly where is the insulin going to come from if her body doesn't make any and she doesn't inject it?

You still haven't answered the point about where the insulin to regulate the glucose going into and out of the bloodstream is meant to come from in these circumstances.

PT doesn't eat McDonalds, eats plenty of veg because she's vegetarian etc- exactly where is the insulin going to come from if her body doesn't make any and she doesn't inject it?

Diabetes is caused by high levels of sugar in the blood. In most cases, reducing the sugar in the blood negates the need for insulin. People only need to take insuline because they refuse to change their diet. Even in type I the need for insulin injections can be drasticly reduced by a managed diet.

Still one of the best way to control diabetes naturely is through dietary habit and lifestyle especially for type 2. Many health professionals consider type 2 diabetes curable and almost 100% preventable. While there is a strong hereditary component to the

disease, diabetes largely attributed to dietary and lifestyle choices.

http://www.diabetes-and-diabetic-diet.com/managingdiabetes.htm

Diabetes is caused by high levels of sugar in the blood. In most cases, reducing the sugar in the blood negates the need for insulin. People only need to take insuline because they refuse to change their diet. Even in type I the need for insulin injections can be drasticly reduced by a managed diet.

http://www.diabetes-and-diabetic-diet.com/managingdiabetes.htm

No, the high sugar in the blood is caused by a lack of insulin. With a total lack of insulin you simply stop having the sugar in your blood regulated, which could have fatal results for someone whose pancreas produces no natural insulin.

We all agree that a healthy diet is important for all sorts of health issues including diabetes (of all types) but it is dangerous in the extreme to try to convince someone that they don't need insulin when we ALL need it, whether produced by our own bodies or supplemented by injection.

No, the high sugar in the blood is caused by a lack of insulin. With a total lack of insulin you simply stop having the sugar in your blood regulated, which could have fatal results for someone whose pancreas produces no natural insulin.

We all agree that a healthy diet is important for all sorts of health issues including diabetes (of all types) but it is dangerous in the extreme to try to convince someone that they don't need insulin when we ALL need it, whether produced by our own bodies or supplemented by injection.

Incorrect. Insulin just helps the body absorb the sugar in to fat, so it doesn't build up in the blood which causes hypoglycemia. Adding sugar via diet makes the problem worse and in all likelyhood in type II caused the problem in the first place.

I think you are arguing with the consensus of physicians and diabetic experts, not me. That's the tin foil.

Incorrect. Insulin just helps the body absorb the sugar in to fat, so it doesn't build up in the blood which causes hypoglycemia. Adding sugar via diet makes the problem worse and in all likelyhood in type II caused the problem in the first place.

I think you are arguing with the consensus of physicians and diabetic experts, not me. That's the tin foil.

How many degrees in biochemistry do you have? Just for interest.

My tutor at university was a world renowned expert on insulin metabolism.

Really? Because this is such basic information thats been available for decades. Its really basic stuff that every diabetic (with a half decent doctor) is told. I assume you are not diabetic?

Perhaps you can consult your expert freind and post a link of <b>research</b> (not weird web sites) that says insulin does not work in the way i explained and that diet cannot reverse the symptoms (but not cure) diebetes? Unless you can its an argument to authority fallacy again.

Yet there is a simple, effective, low-cost strategy that is proven to work with diabetes: reduce the amount of sugar and starch in the diet.This is backed up by rigorous scientific research and I have included a few of the more recent reviews concerning this subject below.2–4

The lower the carbohydrate consumed the less insulin is needed for type 1 diabetics and the less hard the pancreas has to work for type 2 diabetics. For example, insulin dependent diabetics can expect to half or third their insulin requirements. Less insulin injected results in more predictable blood sugars and less hypoglycaemia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1570767/

Firstly there are 2 types of diabetes.

In type 1 casued for example by sudden failure of the pancreas the isles of Langerhans cannot produce any insulin. The end result is that no matter what you do the body cannot metabolise sugar at all, regardless of how much/little, whatever form you take in. The only solution in that situation is to inject insulin to enable metabolism to take place. If you dont you end up with excess suger and ketoacidosis, regardless of the diet you are eating.

I do not dispute in the least that diet can reduce the need for insulin in all forms of diabetes (with the exception of Diabetes Insipidus, which usually has no insulin requirement) but insulin is needed by all of us, which means that those who do not produce their own insulin will need to have some replaced by injection no matter what they eat and it's dangerous to stop using insulin when you need it.

Without insulin ANY carbohydrate in the diet will result in high blood sugars and high sugars are even more dangerous to long term health than hypos. With no carbohydrate in the diet at all the body runs out of glucose pretty quickly and after your body has exhausted your glycogen supplies it enters a state of ketoacidosis, which is also dangerous to those with diabetes.

Diet will play a part in reducing insulin intake- that much is hardly rocket science- but those with diabetes and using insulin should not stop taking their insulin unless directed to do so by their own physician who knows their condition in depth.

Whilst for some people a change of diet may temporarily appear to have reversed their symptoms, there is a lot of evidence that this is temporary and when the reversal is reversed the need for insulin is then an emergency medical situation.

Firstly there are 2 types of diabetes.

In type 1 casued for example by sudden failure of the pancreas the isles of Langerhans cannot produce any insulin. The end result is that no matter what you do the body cannot metabolise sugar at all, regardless of how much/little, whatever form you take in. The only solution in that situation is to inject insulin to enable metabolism to take place. If you dont you end up with excess suger and ketoacidosis, regardless of the diet you are eating.

Sorry that’s also not entirely correct. Type one means little to no insulin. It’s a small difference, but an important one. In most type I cases there is secretion of insulin. Diet can reduce insulin intake by up to a third in type I. See research above.

If your pancreas secretes little or no insulin (type 1 diabetes) or your body produces too little insulin or has become resistant to insulin's action (type 2 diabetes), the level of sugar in your bloodstream increases. <b>This is because it's unable to enter cells.</b>

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-treatment/DA00010

A low fat, high carbohydrate diet in combination with regular exercise is the traditional recommendation for treating diabetes.

These data show low carbohydrate diets to be comparable or better than traditional low fat high carbohydrate diets for weight reduction, improvement in the dyslipidemia of diabetes and metabolic syndrome as well as control of blood pressure, <b>postprandial glycemia and insulin secretion</b>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1188071/

What people are missing here is diabetics of both types test themselves regularly to see their blood sugar levels. They adjust insulin and sugar intake based off those results. The difference in levels is diet. Insulin then reduces sugar levels by allowing absorption. You can increase insulin secretion from diet and reduce glucose levels (created from carbohydrates by the body) by diet. Injecting insulin is a bandaide, its never even mentioned as a treatment, the only treatment for diebetics is diet. Full stop.

This isn't new or controversial.

Whilst for some people a change of diet may temporarily appear to have reversed their symptoms, there is a lot of evidence that this is temporary and when the reversal is reversed the need for insulin is then an emergency medical situation.

Yes, its not a cure. If you bring your levels down to not requiring insulin you cannot then start to eat McDonalds and bucket loads of sugar again. You must continue the diet or continue with the bandaide and inject yourself with insulin.

Archived