Diabetes : make an informed choice

[/b]

No - once diagnosed, Type 1 diabetics are ALWAYS put on insulin since they produce NONE of their own.

Type I is an autoimmune responce that attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. While this process is occuring the pacreas makes less and less insulin.

By the time you are diagnosed, it really depends where you are in that process. Some people can be diagnosed while still preducing levels of insulin. But yeah, at some stage inevitably there will be none.

This is not for type 1 diabetes.

Please tell me what hospital you allegeldy work for so I can tell them they have a walking liability lawsuit on their hands. Thanks.

Where did i say i was talking exclusivly about type I? All you know is the strawman. Type I only accounts for little more than 5% of all cases.

Type I is an autoimmune responce that attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. While this process is occuring the pacreas make less and less insulin.

By the time you are diagnosed, it really depends where you are in that process. Some people can be diagnosed while still preducing levels of insulin. But yeah, at some stage inevitably there will be none.

If you are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes the ONLY treatment is insulin to start immediately.

Oh dear - I'm beginning to sound like a parrot !:help:

Who is this strawman you keep quoting?:)

Where did i say i was talking exclusivly about type I? All you know is the strawman. Type I only accounts for little more than 5% of all cases.

You don't understand the definition of a strawman. You have proposed the position that diet alone is sufficient to treat diabetes. Since withdrawl of insulin from a type 1 diabetic will kill them my argument is valid and is not a strawman.

What hospital - if any - is it you work at?

Oh please. Its only thats serious if you keep eating the McDonalds, 5 sugars in your coffee and eat no veg, against your doctors advice for many years.

Its not bad science. Its what every doctor advises. These people are just using that to sell the whole raw food thing.

You still haven't answered the point about where the insulin to regulate the glucose going into and out of the bloodstream is meant to come from in these circumstances.

PT doesn't eat McDonalds, eats plenty of veg because she's vegetarian etc- exactly where is the insulin going to come from if her body doesn't make any and she doesn't inject it?

As medusa said, I am vegetarian, and would not be seen walking near a mucky-donalds let alone eating there...

I do not take sugar in my tea, nor do I have sugar in my coffee,(I have a sweetener, aspartame or saccharine, if I have a rare cup of coffee)

Drinks? When or if I go out, it's slimline tonic water or diet coke, generally, no alcohol, at all (totally teetotal!)

so, sadly, that's that rumour scotched, and thrown out of the window....

any carbohydrate, whether starch (*potatoes, pasta or rice) or "sugar" (be it fruit sugar or "sugar" sugar, etc) is broken down to the smallest molecule, glucose to be absorbed from the gut into the bloodstream, to nourish the body's cells.

Without insulin, the cell can't burn the "fuel" (the glucose) this is why the diabetic person needs insulin.

If the body can't produce it, then there needs to be some means of replacing the insulin in the body.

seeing as insulin cannot be taken by mouth (the stomach destroys the insulin before the body can uptake it into the bloodstream) the only option is "subcut" (subcutaneous) injections, whether by a number of injections through the day, or by a pump delivering it constantly, better-mimicking the body's own insulin- release.

The diabetic who does not take the insulin he or she needs will go quickly into DKA, (diabetic ketoacidosis), and may well lapse into coma, and die.

Type I is an autoimmune responce that attacks the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. While this process is occuring the pacreas makes less and less insulin.

but the diabetic will certainly need to go onto Insulin therapy almost immediately. there may be a honeymoon period where the body picks up slightly, and their insulin output raises, but the trend is that there are basically few-to-nil type I diabetics who could manage without their insulin injections.

You clearly have not read my post (14)

I have kept on the same diet and even lost more weight, but still have had to return to using insulin due to glucose levels once again rising. This diet was started and monitored by the Royal Hallamshire Hospital diabetic clinic and their dietician, even though i have kept rigid to the original diet etc i still have returned to the point of having to use insulin again. So i think this proves that diet cannot stop the use of insulin in a diabetic.

You may have been experiencing the "honeymoon period" to which I referred earlier.

Archived