Restaurants - Are you stuck in your ways?

There was a time when we would look out different restaurants and try different foods. This was a big part of the eating experience - trying new restaurants and new dishes.

However, for the past few years we tend to keep returning to the same few restaurants and eating pretty much the same food. Its not that we've gone off trying new stuff, its just that we actually know what we want to eat, and go straight for it. Is it just us, or do most people ultimately settle down to a preferred few?

If so, what are your favourites and what do you eat?

Ours, depending on what type of food I/we fancy, are:

Pho '68 - Stewed beef and rice, udon noodles

Cafe Rouge - Bavette

Zeugma - mixed grill (might have another name - lots of different meats)

Panahar (mainly because it is local) - byriani

Its not because these are the best restaurants/food - but we feel comfortable there, including our 5 year old daughter. So we find we keep gravitating back to the same places.

For flasher meals, special occasions etc (usually without our daughter - although the only one we wouldn't want to take her to would be rafters) it tends to be Artisan/Catch (or whatever it's called nowadays), rafters, mediterranean or Loch Fyne.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you feel comfortable there. Sometimes we like the familiar and in these days of belt tightening I wonder if people would rather go somewhere unspectacular but nice rather than maybe pushing the boat out somewhere and risk being disappointed.

I like going somewhere different but struggle with lack of independent choices in Sheffield.

My current fave restaurants are very similar to yours :

Zeugma

Pho 68

Shapla

Milestone

I also like Artisan / Loch Fyne / Wortley Arms / Bar 23

Absolutely. For casual/relaxed dinining, East One, Thyme Cafe and Pizza Express. For a more formal evening, the London Club, the Milestone and Bistro Pierre. Went to Kitchen for the first time 2wks ago on the suggestion of a friend and loved it, must be more open to trying new places!!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you feel comfortable there. Sometimes we like the familiar and in these days of belt tightening I wonder if people would rather go somewhere unspectacular but nice rather than maybe pushing the boat out somewhere and risk being disappointed.

That's pretty much it. I have a few restaurants on my 'To Do List' but daren't for fear of them being tosh. For instance I really want to try London Club, but the A La Carte menu and therefore I would be putting £100 or so at risk, when I know that would easily cover me and the husband for a GOOD meal at Milestone.

Even the fear of cheap toshy restaurants puts me off. Yes I won't risk so much money, but I am getting to the stage where I cannot believe that anyone would DARE serve really bad food. There is NO excuse for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

We often go back to our favourite places, but we also love trying new places as well, in fact we're going to the new Sri Lankan/South Indian place on Abbeydale Road tonight. I do understand though that when you find somewhere really good, you might be less likely to try new places in case you don't like them as much - I tend to try new places based on recommendations from people whose taste I trust. My favourites:

Italian - Piccolo's (West Street)

Indian - Kashmir Curry Centre (Spital Hill), Seven Spices or East West (Abbeydale Road)

Chinese - Hei Moon (Hillsborough) or Wong Ting

Thai - Baan Thai, Thai Punna or Siam Inter (London Road)

Middle Eastern - Rowsha (Walkley) or Shiraz (Abbeydale Road)

Archived