Brass engine nameplate 'Osprey'

andyb

I found the pair of brass nameplates saying 'Osprey' when clearing out an old factory unit.

Does anyone have an idea what they were from?

A steam hammer? Press? or a stream engine or some sort.

Are they collectable? Please see the photo at the link below.

andyb

http://www.hallamdojo.co.uk/Name%20plate.jpg

Hi andyb - the plates must be collectable and it would be interesting to know their origin. They could well be from a steam hammer etc. as you suggest. There was an express loco with the name Osprey (which, as it happens, was scrapped by T.W.Ward's at Killamarsh) but the photo shows that this plate isn't big enough to have come from a mainline loco.

It could be that the plates are from a small works engine, especially as you have a pair, and it might be worth emailing Sheffield Railwayana Auctions (now run from Bedfordshire) at sheffrailwayana@aol.com in case they know their origin.

If I had to put money on the origin of those nameplates I'd go along with hillsboro's suggestion that they could be off a works loco, one of those little 0-6-0 saddle tanks the steelworks used. Are they collectable? I would say so.

Archived