Best Pub in Sheffield?

Sandy Lamper

Whilst appreciating the real ale buffs for those of a less discerning nature, I would recommend a pint in the Park Hotel at Hillsborough. Been going in for a round five years now and have been made very welcome.

Lager at £2.30 a pint, John Smiths at £2.00 plus a limited selection of real ales eg Bombardier.

Not everyone's cup of tea but OK in my view

I'd probably suggest the Devonshire Cat.

It's a nice spacious pub with a good mix of young and old and one of the best selections of beers and lagers in Sheffield.

If you like real ale pubs then head down the Kelham Island area, although I always think that area is best when it's a nice warm evening (great beer gardens down there, but the inside of the pubs isn't great).

I'm 44 and they're the sort of pubs I go in, as well as Wetherspoons, University Arms and Sheffield Tap......Although Dev Cat is my favourite.

Regards

Doom

Its been called Kelham Island for donkeys years... I suppose due to Kelham Island itself being the (man made) island that the Industrial Museum sits on.

I kind of remember that now but the only pub around was on the corner at the bottom of Corporation Street the Mowberry I think, And I think maybe another accross the street on what looks like Nursery Street

I kind of remember that now but the only pub around was on the corner at the bottom of Corporation Street the Mowberry I think, And I think maybe another accross the street on what looks like Nursery Street

On Nursery Street is what is now called the Harlequin (it used to be the Manchester, but took on the name in honour of the old Harlequin that used to be just round the corner - on Johnson Street I believe. Sadly demolished).

The Mowbray is I think now called the Riverside (I think - but could be wrong). Heading further along Mowbray Street is the excellent Gardeners Rest.

The area that is the heart of Kelham Island though is on the opposite bank of the Don, where the Fat Cat and The Kelham Island Tavern are.

(be aware if using Google - it has a number of these places marked on it - in slightly incorrect locations)

Archived