Best Pub in Sheffield?

Sandy Lamper

On Nursery Street is what is now called the Harlequin (it used to be the Manchester, but took on the name in honour of the old Harlequin that used to be just round the corner - on Johnson Street I believe. Sadly demolished).

The Mowbray is I think now called the Riverside (I think - but could be wrong). Heading further along Mowbray Street is the excellent Gardeners Rest.

The area that is the heart of Kelham Island though is on the opposite bank of the Don, where the Fat Cat and The Kelham Island Tavern are.

Hmm. I only remember nothing but factories on there. But then again, I barely remember what I had for breakfast :(

Hmm. I only remember nothing but factories on there. But then again, I barely remember what I had for breakfast :(

Yes it was once mostly heavy industry but all 5 pubs I mentioned were there then. They (like the area) have undergone a heavy change of character though and the area really is a Mecca for real ale drinkers now. What with the ringroad finally being completed and the renovation of many factories into plush appartments I doubt you'd recognise the area. I still think of how it used to be ten/ fifteen years ago and get surprised (again)...

I think the pub refferred to as the mowberry earlier now the Riverside was called the Brown Cow a Wards Pub.

Whilst not detracting from the general and wonderful Kelham Island Area as an whole, the best pub for beer and surroundings and more importantly longetivity of standards has to be the Red Lion on Charles Street with Fagans a very close second and possibly the Dog and Partridge on Trippet lane as a third.

Just my opinion.

I think the pub refferred to as the mowberry earlier now the Riverside was called the Brown Cow a Wards Pub.

Whilst not detracting from the general and wonderful Kelham Island Area as an whole, the best pub for beer and surroundings and more importantly longetivity of standards has to be the Red Lion on Charles Street with Fagans a very close second and possibly the Dog and Partridge on Trippet lane as a third.

Just my opinion.

I think I stand corrected on the Brown Cow.

Wasn't the Red Lion a Stones House (If that's the one behind the City hall)

No I'm sure it was Tetleys, Leeds muck!:gag:

Yes It's not the Red Lion I was thinking off. I was talking about the one on that little side street that cut accross from West Dtreet To the back of City Hall

I kind of remember that now but the only pub around was on the corner at the bottom of Corporation Street the Mowberry I think, And I think maybe another accross the street on what looks like Nursery Street

That would be the Brown Cow, not to be confused with the Brown Cow which used to be on the Wicker.

Archived