Looking for a proper Funk Night

Calmic

Does anyone know if there is a good funk and motown night in Sheffield? One that plays the old original stuff from Parliament, Maceo Parker, Sly and the Family Stone, etc. - no cheese or disco? You know, a place that *might* play Stevie Wonder, but only ever Superstition, Higher Ground or Living for the City. Does anyone out there know what I'm on about?! ;o)

Yes mate! I know exactly what you mean. The true heavy funk is exactly what I love, especially stuff like The Meters, Booker T, Sly, Parliament, Weldon Irvine etc. The closest I've found is Cirque Du Funk on Thursdays at The Forum, but they tend to throw in a fair bit of disco and that (which I like too, but not everyone's bag)

I believe there's some funk nights going on at The Earl these days too.... Sure the Earl's forummers will enlighten you ;)

I tried to run a proper deep funk night at Orchis a couple of years back, but I rather cocked it up and lost loads of money :mad:

Originally posted by Bully_Beef

Yes mate!

I believe there's some funk nights going on at The Earl these days too.... Sure the Earl's forummers will enlighten you ;)

It's known as 'Wall of Balls', let me know if you want details of forthcoming events anyone.

Spangle

What else is included in soul food night at the Earl besides Motown? As For pure funk I believe Sheffield struggles to put much on of a soul nature as it unfortunately has always been very much a rock city-- no prizes for guessing where my true love lies.

You can expect to hear the finest in Northern Soul, Tamla, Stax, Atlantic and early disco.

And your hosts for the evening are The Chief, Little Anthony, Ghandi and Marshall Stacks.

Free entry before 10.30 and £2 afterwards.

Find me to say hello if you make it down.

S

If you ever happen to make it to Planet Zogg (which is trance-techno night) - I normally play a fair bit of early 70s funk & afrobeat in the second room. I had talked vaguely with a few folk of doing proper funk night - but nothing ever really came of it...

*Do Your Thing

Original soul, heavy funk 45s and true school hip hop jams.

Saturday 24 September

@ The Nether Edge Club, Moncrieffe Road, Sheffield.

9pm - 1am. £4 (ticket only)

Tickets are available from:

Lowlife (Hickmott Rd), Store Records (Aberdeen Court, Division St) and Dulo (Cemetery Rd). For more info please call 2669433 (2-6pm)

Archived