The origins of Sheffield street names

From "Ecclesia" meaning an assembly, I assume; as in the biblical book of Ecclesiastes.

From the Greek, ekklesia, presumably, although I don't really know.

Eccles could also derive from Old English aec-laes, or oak pasture.

We need an expert in old languages. Anybody know one?

Does anyone know the origin of "Crookes*?

I think I once read that it was the favourite hangout of highway robbers (Crookes) ambushing the trade rout.

Crookes does have a lot of street names that are self explanetory though like:-

Moorsyde Avenue

Heavygate Road

Loxley View, Stannington View (both high up with views out to the North West)

Longfield Road

Northfield Road

Midfield Road

Mulehouse Road

School Road

All the streets near Hillsborough Park such as Warner ,Lennox and Dorothy Roads were named after Hollywood stars and film moguls

ie Warner Bros,Wiz of Oz etc.Dont fall that old tale that they are the children of Franklin Hawkesley who sold the plots to a builder called Terri Tubbs

All the streets near Hillsborough Park such as Warner ,Lennox and Dorothy Roads were named after Hollywood stars and film moguls

ie Warner Bros,Wiz of Oz etc.Dont fall that old tale that they are the children of Franklin Hawkesley who sold the plots to a builder called Terri Tubbs

Warner Road is named after a Cricketer Sir Pelham Warner who played for England & Middlesex, and Lennox & Dorothy rds are named after the the Silversmith family DIXONS Lennox was also Chairman of the Sheffield Silversmiths.

Does anyone know the origin of "Crookes*?

Crookes is derived from an old Norse name Krkor, which means a nook or corner of land, I got that from Wikepedia.

There is a Crookes local history society that have put together a book called Crookes Revisited, some great old photo's in there and stories of some of the gentry that lived in the area.

Tasker Road, named after John Tasker, he was instrumental in bringing the telephone and electricity to Sheffield and lived at Crookes House for some years.