The origins of Sheffield street names

Any ideas about the origins of the following roads that run off South Rd in Walkley.

Duncombe St,Cromwell St(could hazard a guess about this one) Hadfield St,Cundy St,Fulton Rd.

Are they all historical figures?

I'm guessing that Cundy Street may be a corruption of "conduit" given the number of roads in the area that derive from water courses - Springvale, Wellfield, Spring Bank, Conduit Road can all be found within half a mile.

Others may have been named after members /dignitaries of the various Freehold Land Societies who were responsible for the development of Walkley during the 1800's.

There's only really, the east whitwell estate which has streets named for trees.

Spurley Hey Grove, and Kenworthy Roads were certainly named after people of note from the district. Shay House and Pot House were named for farms/ houses if I remember the history correctly.

Fox Glen (more Deepcar) was named for the woods behind it, and there's a cluster of roads named for saints at the top of Deepcar. (St Matthias, St Joan, St Mary, St Mark, St Margaret St Andrew, St Patrick, St George, St Veronica, St David...)

Coal Pit lane, erm, no, I couldn't possibly begin to guess what that road was named for.. (hehe) and Glebelands road was named for "Church-owned" (Glebe) land.

i live in shaw house on shay house lane, i have an old map that shows shay house lane as shaw house lane ,would love to find out why it was changed.lots of streets in the area have a house with the name of the road they are on.Example spink hall, pothouse lane etc.

i live in shaw house on shay house lane, i have an old map that shows shay house lane as shaw house lane ,would love to find out why it was changed.lots of streets in the area have a house with the name of the road they are on.Example spink hall, pothouse lane etc.

Have you lived out there for a long time?

When i lived out there, some friends of mine lived in the detached 1930s property at the bottom of shay house lane. They had a huge field thing ( they were a little offended when I referred to it as a paddock!!!) at the rear of the house. It was a lovely house and grounds.

Obviously, their house was nowhere near as old as shay house, which looked a bit more of a chocolate box cottage back them!

Maybe shaw was changed to shay, as some sort of corruption in the pronunciation of the name shaw, which is a very common yorkshire name..

Have you lived out there for a long time?

When i lived out there, some friends of mine lived in the detached 1930s property at the bottom of shay house lane. They had a huge field thing ( they were a little offended when I referred to it as a paddock!!!) at the rear of the house. It was a lovely house and grounds.

Obviously, their house was nowhere near as old as shay house, which looked a bit more of a chocolate box cottage back them!

Maybe shaw was changed to shay, as some sort of corruption in the pronunciation of the name shaw, which is a very common yorkshire name..

i have lived at shaw house for 38 years and the early map i have shows a dwelling on the exact site of my house about thirty years before it was supposed to be built.A stone mason examined the cellers and said they were in construction older than the rest of the house so it must have been rebuilt at some time.

i have lived at shaw house for 38 years and the early map i have shows a dwelling on the exact site of my house about thirty years before it was supposed to be built.A stone mason examined the cellers and said they were in construction older than the rest of the house so it must have been rebuilt at some time.

Ah, you may know the Greens, then, as they lived there thirty something years ago ( oh, my! were the eighties really thirty years ago???!!!)

That is very interesting, that there is evidence of an older building being there before the present property. I believe it was common, in victorian times, and before, to utilise the foundations of an older building in a newer one.

One of the best and most historic properties i ever stayed in was a friend's place just outside Birmingham, which was late tudor/ early stuart, an old manor house whivh was certainly pre-civil war, and had a grand looking great-hall, which looked like westminster hall, a really beautiful building.

The cellars had to be seen to be believed. Massive, vaulted cellars, that sermed to go on for miles. There was even a story linked to the house that, at the time of the civil war, King Charles I hid in tne cellars. ( that may or may not be true, but what was true was that the house was certainl old enough that it was around at the time of the civil war, and was also very close to sites of skirmishes/ battles between the roundheads and the cavaliers.)

Anyway, I digress, back to history of the names of roads in Sheffield.