The origins of Sheffield street names

I worked at Firth Browns in the area of East Coast Road in the early '60s.

Always thought the name was a little romantic for it's location. Now it makes complete sence. Thanks for clearing that up after all these years hillsbro.:)

I know someone who lives on Store street S2 and they are wondering why it is called that theres no 'stores' on it ?

according to Peter Harvey's book it was built on the Duke of Norfolk's land about 1911. Was named after the warehouse alongside which it was built. The warehouse was used for storage by Samuel Hartley

many years ago, there was a company at the bottom of Twentywell lane called 'Alpolain' (spelling?) it was owned by a man called Charles Brindley, who had family named wife Gladys, Joan Sheila and Barry. There are roads around Norton Lees named Brindley, were they named after Mr Brindley

Hi scousemouse - Peter Harvey in his book "Street Names of Sheffield" states that the names of Brindley Close and Brindley Crescent come "from the Brindley family, former owners of the house nearby, through the grounds of which the streets were built." Peter doesn't mention the Alpolain firm, but directories show "Alpolain Industries Ltd., laboratory supplies" at 5 Dalewood Road, Beauchief, this being also the residence of "Charles Vaughan Brindley, consulting metallurgist". Public records confirm that he married Gladys Mabel Barlow in 1916; he died aged 82 in 1973.

I think any placename with Shaw in it refers to a small wood or grove of trees. Can anybody shed any light on Finkle Street at Wortley? It's not really a street, more a country road.

I know this one is going back a bit but I have just come across this thread. I have come across one or two Finkle Streets or lanes, I believe it refers to a road with a lot of bends or s bends though I have heard other explanations.

Don't think we did too bad on names when you consider Nottingham was named after a Saxon Chieftain called Snot !!!!!:o

Love street is named after the Lovetots, and the path below the castle walls was called Loves gutter

Edited by grinder

Don't think we did too bad on names when you consider Nottingham was named after a Saxon Chieftain called Snot !
Quite right, the city used to be called Snottingham. The good burghers of Scunthorpe decided not to drop the 'S'..;)

Don't think we did too bad on names when you consider Nottingham was named after a Saxon Chieftain called Snot !!!!!:o

Love street is named after the Lovetots, and the path below the castle walls was called Loves gutter

I thought it was trueloves gutter?

There is a Lovetot road that runs off Attercliffe road near Norfolk bridge.