The origins of Sheffield street names

I went to the main library in Sheffield to try and research Deadman's Hole lane, but didn't come up with anything conclusive...Mostly just hearsay, speculation, and guesswork.

I had a librarian drag out all the old ordnance survey maps, and it appears to have 'turned up' on a map somewhere in the 1700's, but there's no documentation in regard to it. Or at least not that I could find.

The general 'theory' seems to be that it was something to do with Roman burial pits....But that's just a theory I think.

My 'theory' based on the maps I saw, was that, slightly further up the river, towards what is now Tinsley viaduct, there appears to have been a toll bridge crossing the river. My guess would be that the Deadmans Hole was a dodgy crossing point for those who couldn't afford or unwilling to pay the toll, and perhaps some people lost their lives there. But as I say...it's only guesswork based on the maps I saw.

Its the site of the meadowbank pit the shaft flooded and collapsed killing all the miners hence the name dead man's hole

think Penistone rd was the road to Penistone and Grimsthorpe wad where all the Grimie people live

Not quite, Grimesthorpe was from the Norse, Grim's torrpe or Grim's farmstead. Thorpe or torp was the Norse for farmstead. Jordan thorpe was yorda's (Norse, Jorda) farmstead Hackenthorpe was Haaken's thorpe., Haaken's farmstead. Nether Thorpe was the lowest farmstead, upperthorpe was the highest farmstead.

Not quite, Grimesthorpe was from the Norse, Grim's torrpe or Grim's farmstead. Thorpe or torp was the Norse for farmstead. Jordan thorpe was yorda's (Norse, Jorda) farmstead Hackenthorpe was Haaken's thorpe., Haaken's farmstead. Nether Thorpe was the lowest farmstead, upperthorpe was the highest farmstead.

just a joke you have to be from Yorkshire and like me have a twisted sense:hihi::hihi: