The origins of Sheffield street names

The book is also available for loan from the following libraries -

Central Lending Library, Broomhill Library, Chapeltown Library, Darnall Library, Gleadless Library, Highfield Library, Housebound Service, Stocksbridge Library, Upperthorpe Library, Walkley Library, and Woodseats Library and is available to view in the Local Studies Library,

:)

Edited by Greybeard

There's a bit of Burncross which is supposed to have been a pow camp during WW2. The street names on the estate built after the war are Hawkins, Raleigh, Nelson, Mountbatten which are all naval heroes.

But in addition you also have Milton and MacKenzie so not sure on those?

Jim

Just had Letsby Avenue pointed out to me this afternoon - yep, at the end of this road is the police HQ (airport ind estate).

No road signs but that's what came up on the SatNav - someone having a laugh?

No joke, I work up there often.:)http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Letsby+Avenue&sll=53.456637,-1.478816&sspn=0.006171,0.018947&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Letsby+Ave,+Sheffield+S9+1,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.395639,-1.388268&spn=0.01236,0.054245&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.395455,-1.388272&panoid=xMdQo7ca0txxTjbrQtOrag&cbp=12,201.02,,0,12.71

hi does anyone know of why sheffield street names are called what they are and if they have changed.

ie

Fargate - means the Far Way

Gate is from the Norse for Street or Road - you find this name a lot in York.

Funnily enough on the (fruitless, I know!) trip to Hartlepool, We went along a street in Thirsk called, of all things, "Stuttergate"! I found that name quite amusing.

speaking of road signs has anyone seen the new Savile Street signs on the new ring road near the wicker? they were made as savilee Street and someone had to remove one of the "E's" which i thought was quite amusing, they cant even get the road name correct when ordering new signs:hihi:

I stand corrected, and I apologise:- HN, the street is Stammergate, not Stuttergate.

Darn. I thought I'd come up with a really neat suggestion there. :hihi:

I have no idea what the origins of a Stammergate might be. Stuttgart, apparently, derives from "Stud Garden" as in a breeding farm.

Stannington view road in Crookes was named because it has a view of Stannington. That what me dad told me and who am I to argue lol. It does sound right.

There's a Carsick View Road in Ranmoor, along with a handful of Carsicks. I wonder if that worked on the same principle when they had to name it. :hihi:

Just had Letsby Avenue pointed out to me this afternoon - yep, at the end of this road is the police HQ (airport ind estate).

No road signs but that's what came up on the SatNav - someone having a laugh?

I want to know the reaction they get when they try to give the address of the place over the phone etc. :hihi: