The origins of Sheffield street names

'Carsick' could also be derived from two local words:

'Carr', meaning wet woodland

'Sick' or 'Syke' meaning stream or valley.

Much more likely, - some of Addy's place-name suggestions are a bit whacky, but to be fair he was writing 130 years ago.

In 1850 just two properties bear the name, Carsick Hill and Carsick Hall. Later the sick was used to supply a small lake in the grounds of Carsick Grange from where it seems it was known as Snaithing brook which joins the Porter near the bottom of Pendeen road, although it's all under ground now.

On the 1905 map there is a property called Carsick View.

'Carsick' could also be derived from two local words:

'Carr', meaning wet woodland

'Sick' or 'Syke' meaning stream or valley.

That'll be it. I wonder at what point in the progress of transportation the name got overtaken (sorry) by its sniggery overtones, or whether it always sounded a bit funny. I've heard it pronounced with the accent on the second syllable to disguise it a bit from how it looks. I don't know if that was how it was always pronounced or whether they altered it because they got fed up with people sniggering.

I read years ago an article about Michael Palin and it named the road he grew up on. I looked it up in the A-Z and was thrilled to find that he *grew up in Carsick*. I suppose a sense of humour became essential as a boy. :hihi:

Many housing estates built as estates, post-WWII, are given names en masse that represent something; like a Flower Estate (many cities have at least one), or a Poets Estate .. I believe there's a Rugby Union Grounds Estate in Halfway. Trees, and Peak District villages, are probably further examples of the same thing.

It's the older names which are usually the more interesting.