The origins of Sheffield street names

I could not for the life of me think how Seabreezes Terrace got its name on the Richmond estate until someone told me it was named after a famous racehorse that won one of the classic races.

It was supposedly named after a horse that won the Oaks & the St Leger in 1888.

Corker Road, just off Ridgeway Road wats that named after anyone know?

It was named after a local man named George Corker a lifelong member of the Gleadless Congregational Church , he was Deacon & Choirmaster for thirty nine years and he died in 1923 aged seventy four.

I'm not sure about that one. There's also 'Corker Bottoms'.

On maps by Fairbanks in 1760 & 1762 made referance to Corkers Hill so presumebly Corker Bottoms was at the foot of the hill, this was probably named after a local man.

Edited by lazarus

CARSICK old English for marshy gound with a stream running through it, you can buy STREET NAMES OF SHEFFIELD by Peter Harvey from the Sheffield Scene on Surrey St or The Star shop on York St.

I take it you have a copy yourself then Lazarus :hihi:

There's the Lake District Estate between Abbeydale Rd and Little London Rd

And how about Loxley Bottoms.

As for the culvert at the top of Stone Delf, that was made early 1900s as a conduit to transport water from Redmires Dams. More likely to be related to a small quarry, of which there were hundreds in t'old days for stone walling.

I grew up on and lived on Stone Delf for 20 years and I never really knew the purpose of that culvert. Cheers Mike :thumbsup:

Quite a few streets are named after field names in Eckington, some streets on Gleadless Valley are named after Artists, Constable, Leighton Etc

You are right.....places like Farmstead Close, Gleadless Valley (I used to live there as a kid :hihi:) were named because of the old farmland that it was built on........the old Peoples Home 'Paddock Hill' because of a similar usage......I remember us having some fab bonfires on there, before Leighton Road was altered and the OPH built! :D