The origins of Sheffield street names

In Crookes there are some little clusters of streets named on similar themes.

There's a group named after places in Scotland, i.e. Nairn Street, Arran Road, Forres Road and Avenue, Elgin Street and Bute Street, and another group named after battles like Bosworth Street, Flodden Street and Marston Road.

Anybody know were the name Moonshine Lane comes from? Isn't it a drink? Quick look on Google maps shows that there is only this one in UK, but quite a few in US.

Nobody knows as to why its called Moonshine Lane, it could be that the full moon shone directly down it.

Nether means middle and thorpe means little hill so

Netherthorpe = little hill in the middle

Nether Edge = Edge of the middel!

Nether Green = Green in the middle

Thorpe is the Viking for settlement so presumably Nether or what the original name was is the man who started the settlement. other Viking names are Osgathorpe,Hackenthorpe, Woodthorpe. Nottingham comes from the farm owned by Snots no joke its true, Scarborough is named after another Viking (I cant for the life of me remember his original name) it sounds like Scardaborg which means hare-lip.

Edited by lazarus

Priory, is a bit obvious, there was a priory in the vicinity.

Almost PT :) In fact it was a priory grange (farmhouse and tithe barn) built by the monks of Worksop Priory who were given quite a bit of land between Little Sheffield and Machon Bank as well as two thirds of the tithes of Sheffield.

Priory Grange stood in the angle formed by Wostenholme road ad Sharrow lane - about where Priory terrace and Smeaton street are now.

Vickers Road, Bolsover Road & Cammel Road at Firth Park all run into each other and I believe they are named after important people from the Steel Working World?

Vickers and Cammel were both famous steel magnates...as was Mark Firth who gave us Firth Park.

Thomas Bolsouver was famous for the invention of Sheffield Plate (pressure plating of copper with silver). There was a large house at the top of Bolsover road called Bolsover Hill, - demolished to make way for the housing. I don't know if Thomas Bolsouver ever lived there but it was built on the site of Bolsover Cottages where he was born.

Nether means middle and thorpe means little hill so

Netherthorpe = little hill in the middle

Nether Edge = Edge of the middel!

Nether Green = Green in the middle

Nether usually means 'lower'. At one time there were four houses called 'Edge' in the Nether Edge area.

Upper Edge, The Edge and Nether Edge and one called Edge End - near the end of Brincliffe Edge :D

Thorpes were usually new Danish settlements but Netherthorpe wasn't one, it was named in relatively recent times in contrast to Upperthorpe which in fact was a corruption of Hooperthorpe ( a hooper was an alternative name for a cooper or barrel maker).

Lazarus mentions Osgathorpe and there were at least two others in north Sheffield - Grimesthorpe and Reynaldthorpe, or Renathorpe, which later became known as Hatfield House (near Shiregreen).

Vickers and Cammel were both famous steel magnates...as was Mark Firth who gave us Firth Park.

Thomas Bolsouver was famous for the invention of Sheffield Plate (pressure plating of copper with silver). There was a large house at the top of Bolsover road called Bolsover Hill, - demolished to make way for the housing. I don't know if Thomas Bolsouver ever lived there but it was built on the site of Bolsover Cottages where he was born.

Strange when you read about certains from the past. I remember reading somewhere that the actual building Page Hall was set in some of the most stunning views in Sheffield and when you think of it now! Be great to see what these views were. I think I read it was built for some Banker, its an old people's home now. I grew up on Vickers Road.

Delph or Delf can be linked to ditch, quarry, trench and other similar descriptions. There is a Stone Delf in Fulwood which loosely backs this up, and also has a small culvert that runs just to the north of it.

Forgot about Stone Delph/Delf?? I used to live on Slayleigh Avenue which is parallel to it as is Slayleigh Lane. Slayleigh - there's a name to conjure with.