The origins of Sheffield street names

Forgot about Stone Delph/Delf?? I used to live on Slayleigh Avenue which is parallel to it as is Slayleigh Lane. Slayleigh - there's a name to conjure with.

I may have delivered your newspapers back in the 70's :P (Lived on Stone Delf 1965-1985)

Oh I see! I thought there must have been some closer by if the road was named after it.

Presumably it used to be the main road heading to Castleton and thence to Cheshire. Salt was a vitally important substance in the days before fridges were invented; it's not surprising that a road would be, first and foremost, "the road the salt comes in by."

I've always wondered, where does Halfway get its name from?

I was once told that it's halfway along the road from Rotherham to Chesterfield. I've never measured it to check. If that is correct, it must date back to before Sheffield became a major town.

What an absolutely fascinting thread. I have found it really interesting reading all about the origins of the road names in Sheffield. Although I lived in Sheffield for the majority of my life I hadn't realised how most of these roads derived their names. I can understand the more obvious Sheffield road names but have found it really interesting how others came about.

What an absolutely fascinting thread. I have found it really interesting reading all about the origins of the road names in Sheffield. Although I lived in Sheffield for the majority of my life I hadn't realised how most of these roads derived their names. I can understand the more obvious Sheffield road names but have found it really interesting how others came about.

hiya what a thread, it set my grey matter working to where i was brought up until i was 23 years old, i came from bath street on the broomhall district of sheffield and the names of some streets were named after well known figures of the day e.g. fitzwilliam street,bath street , brunswick, glousester street, havelock,monmouth,cavendish,clarence, milton, hanover streets , victoria street, broomhall,after the big house, and broomspring lane was said to have a running spring hence springfield school.

rockingham st, traffalgar st, wellington, convent walk in the 1940s do'se anyone know of the walled cemetary down bowden street on the other side from wolstenholmes lower down, we were always told it was a jewish cemetary no one ever went near it, and on button lane at the back of old atkinsons that was bombed we used to pick up bits of pearl shell with holes the size of shirt buttons there must have been a button factory nearby.

Edited by willybite

The various roads I lived on when living in Sheffield were: Wordsworth Ave (poet?); Pickering Road (?); Beldon Road (?); Wellington Row (Naval Officer?); Halifax Road (Town?); Shenstone Road (poet?); Hammerton Road (?). I have also lived on Stone Row, Deepcar (no longer there - new houses on Mill Lane!) and Armitage Road(?) in Deepcar. The last place I lived was Thornbrook Close at Chapeltown.

If anyone could throw any light onto the origins of any of these road names I would be grateful.