Oral allergy syndrome - help!

I have read about this and am pretty sure I have it.

Since I can remember whenever I eat bananas or pineapple or tomatoes and some other fruits and veg I get a tingly very itchy sensation in my mouth and I have to push my tongue about to try and itch it away.

I also get spots on the roof of my mouth after eating sweet things but I don;t think thats related to OAS.

Anyway I kept a food diary and went to my doctor who said he'd never even heard of it so it can't be real and since I've found out what foods trigger a reaction just stop eating them then! :roll:

It is only an itching to be fair but what if it develops please does anyone know more about this? :help: Thanks!

Hey!

I have this. I got a referal from my GP to the immunologist about 8 years ago because I had similar symptoms to you.

I got severe itching in my mouth and lower part of face and down my neck when ever I ate raw fruit. My lips tingle and sometimes swelled and I also got big white and red raised patches on my tongue.

Cucumber also did it to me.

I went to the immunologist and had to take as many things as possible which affected my.

They did a patch test on my skin and I reacted to tomato, cucumber, grass pollen, house dust mites and animal dander (not related to the food allergies!)

They gave me antihistamines because my arm was so itchy and swollen after!

They wrote to me and said I had classic symptoms of oral allergy syndrome brought on by the proteins in fruit (I think!) All they told me to do was avoid the fruits that made me react and if the symptoms ever seemed worse then to go to my GP.

Anyway, it's got better with age although I do still have reactions.

I do still eat fruit but not as often as I should.

I find that I can eat tinned, dried, cooked fruit and I can drink fresh juice ad smoothies without a reaction.

Apparently the proteins are broken down when the fruits are cooked, blended etc!

Hope this helps

Anyway I kept a food diary and went to my doctor who said he'd never even heard of it so it can't be real and since I've found out what foods trigger a reaction just stop eating them then! :roll:

What else did you expect him to say though - surely the obvious treatment for all sorts of allergies is to stop exposing yourself to whatever you're allergic to?

Archived