Thr Prince of Wales, Carterknowle Road

sarah1976

I know you've referred to the Cherry Tree as being on its last legs' date=' Tess, but the latest (young and enthusiastic) management seem willing to put some effort in to change this. They hosted a charity music evening last Friday which resulted in the place being rammed to the rafters and they're acutely aware of the current limitations of the place and are looking to deal with some of these ... Might be worth giving it another chance.[/quote']

Are we talking about Billy and Rosie here? They're good friends of mine, now they are there I will be giving it another go :) Especially as they know how I feel about paying £3.55 for a vodka and lemonade!

Hope the Cherry Tree works.

However they are up against the same obstacle that the other pub co pubs have.

Paying high prices for beer in, I will put this kindly,pubs that have seen better days.

You can often go down the road to a pub that has had investment and pay less for your beer and that is the basic problem imo.

The new menu is pricey and I can't be entirely sure why M&B have located a chain called 'Premium Country Dining" there when they're definitely in the city and there is the actual countryside a 10minute drive up the road. I know that if I was going to have a pub meal in the country I wouldn't be having one on Ecclesall Road South I'd head out to the Peaks.

I can't foresee this lasting long, I live in S11 and it's saturated with places to eat, you only have to look at how frequently the ones further down change hands to see that. I want a pub where I can go have a glass of wine without being asked what table number I'm at and having a waitress trying to drop off an open chicken pie at my table.

The Foxhouse and Dore Moore brand themselves as pubs but you are certainly not welcome in just for a drink if it's busy so I hope the PoW and Hammer don't become like that too.

The Robin Hood is an Ember and is due to stay an Ember unless sim wrong and the Hammer hasn't been an Ember in ages it changed to a much more cheap and cheerful pub ages ago. I'd not heard that it was changing unless this was based on the assumption that it was still an Ember and that all Embers are changing. However I did say that the Sportsman wasn't changing but on Saturday the Ember sign had been taken down there were workmen in and the lights were flickering inside.

The Robin Hood is an Ember and is due to stay an Ember unless sim wrong and the Hammer hasn't been an Ember in ages it changed to a much more cheap and cheerful pub ages ago. I'd not heard that it was changing unless this was based on the assumption that it was still an Ember and that all Embers are changing. However I did say that the Sportsman wasn't changing but on Saturday the Ember sign had been taken down there were workmen in and the lights were flickering inside.

I heard the Robin would not be changed as the carpark is too small.

Also although there was talk of making the Hammer a gastro apparently this met with stiff opposition from the locals.

Archived