Thr Prince of Wales, Carterknowle Road

sarah1976

It`s turning into something of a gay pub too, blokes in bright pink shirts.

You could be right there , I've not seen many women in there recentely,and far too many pink and flowery shirts,and you know what I've heard from Groch (thats the owners real name by the way) is that they're going to be employing doormen soon and that's a definate sign as we all know that ALL doormen are gay :D

You could be right there , I've not seen many women in there recentely,and far too many pink and flowery shirts,and you know what I've heard from Groch (thats the owners real name by the way) is that they're going to be employing doormen soon and that's a definate sign as we all know that ALL doormen are gay :D

Ha doormen in Whirlow/Ecclesall border. I am sure they must be getting all sorts of trouble being a 'Pub in the Country'.

Will they be ensuring no flat caps/dogs, or is it the new no prestige car marque, no entry, they have thought of.

It must be a pain having drinkers keep wanting to come in your bar to just drink. I am sure those Whirlow types love a brawl on a Friday after one too many Chardonnays and some shoulder of lamb with currant jus ;)

It is still owned by Mitchells and Butlers who had it as an ember, the Premium country dining group is just another branch of M & B. I have been in a few times since the change and love the place, its just not somewhere i would go regularly anymore. I saw alot of familiar faces when i was in too, so im guessing they didnt lose all their old customers.

The only think i would say is, its always so hot in there, perhaps its a ploy to get me ordering more drinks!

• 2 months later...

After moaning my about the price of drinks I do find myself popping in now and agian for a drink, but I only stay for a couple. I just like the ambiance of the palce now.

Not tried the food yet. I noticed they are now doing two pizzas mid week for £10, they looked nice too.

Whilst I was there the last time, I saw someone returning their food and then leaving!!

Still going to give it a go, but I'm going for the mid week specials, two courses for £12.50.

Prince of Wales has been re-vamped. It's part of the Mitchell's and Butler group. We had a very good meal there last week - no complaints - not too pricey as we had the fixed price menu. Would recommend. Good service too -much better than before.

Had lunch in the Prince of Wales last week - really impressed with the food and the service. Yes it is a bit pricier than other pubs in the area but I would rather pay for something nicer. Its about time Sheffield got a few classier venues - if you dont like it dont spend your money there...

• 3 months later...

Went here last Saturday, was very impressed with the place and seating outside.

Couldn't help but be disappointed with the oven chips though, home made thick cut would have been nice. Will definitely go back again though.

I would go to the Cherry if they could spend some money on doing the place up. Why can't the brewery put some money towards a refurb? They can't expect the tennants to pay for it with such high rent.

It's still nearly £3 a pint in there though.

Verona - just to let you know, the Cherry have now been granted a refurb and hope to have it done by the end of this year. Hope it will get you back through those doors!

Archived