Where is or what is , 'Todwick Bar' ?

Fareast

Thanks Riff Raff - you saved me a job...

Further to my Bar House entry, can anyone out there enlighten me on:-

KIVETON TOLL BAR, STONE ROW, WALES, KIVETON PARK

which is an address I turned up in my research. PERHAPS it's the same one I wrote about, but I'm hoping not...

Is there a WALES, Yorkshire, website? I HAVE hunted!

Thanks Riff Raff - you saved me a job...

Further to my Bar House entry, can anyone out there enlighten me on:-

KIVETON TOLL BAR, STONE ROW, WALES, KIVETON PARK

which is an address I turned up in my research. PERHAPS it's the same one I wrote about, but I'm hoping not...

Is there a WALES, Yorkshire, website? I HAVE hunted!

http://www.kivetonwaleshistory.co.uk/

Don't think that the rumour about Mr barber being killed id true. I think he just expired naturally. The land that his house was on is now Todwick House Gardens I believe and consists of about 4 / 5 houses. I am told that he was active in all aspects of the village, especially the church.

Think there are may stories about the Grange, but there is probably a need for caution here. Many of the children who spent time there when it was a childrens home may not wish to have there memories of being abused re-awoken. Also I believe that it was british Steel that took it over as opposed to B Coal.

Cheers - you saved me a job! I'll search out pictures of Wales Bar and post the links.

The gent on the menu page of our people's museum, who I'll get in touch with and see if he is ok for his contact details to publicised on here or via PM, is a great bloke and an absolute font of Todwick historical knowledge - I'm sure he'll be able to help further.

If you click on the photo archive and 'around the village', picture 48 is of Todwick/Kiveton Bar and 66 and others are of the junction of the Harthill/Todwick road (Hard Lane Corner). Similarly, we've got a couple of shots of the Stone Rows before they were demolished yet to go on the site (all photo descriptions will be on there by next week).

The Stone Rows were the first houses to be built for miners arriving here in the late 1860s while Kiveton pit was being sunk, just a couple of hundreds yards to the south-west. They were followed moving westwards by the Old Rows, Little Rows (Albert, Victoria and Railway) and the New Rows (Dawson and Carrington).

Archived