Are you attracted by a certain 'type'

I am definitely attracted to a type: left wing, highly intelligent, well informed, emotionally intelligent, interesting, witty, self-deprecating, funny, loves women and the company of women and must be a bon vivant.

Looks are secondary to all of the above.

A bit like the holy grail which I why I held onto him when I met him.:D

Self-deprecation is all well and good if it's not exploited maliciously by the other person. I wonder how many women would be attracted to a man who listed "self-deprecation" as a trait he found attractive in a partner?

Self-deprecation is all well and good if it's not exploited maliciously by the other person. I wonder how many women would be attracted to a man who listed "self-deprecation" as a trait he found attractive in a partner?

True, however, that could be interpreted in a number of ways. Do (some) men find self-deprecation attractive in women? Some of the best female comedians have made a living out of it.

But is that not likely to be just an act and those comedians so secure in themslves that it's not a real-life issue?

I'm sure that a lot of it is rooted in insecurity. However, I think that there is a world of difference between a healthy dose of self-deprecation (I can't stand men who are full of themselves) and someone who has serious self-esteem issues.

I'm sure that a lot of it is rooted in insecurity. However, I think that there is a world of difference between a healthy dose of self-deprecation (I can't stand men who are full of themselves) and someone who has serious self-esteem issues.

Don't people claim they don't take themselves too seriously rather than claim to be self deprecating. That does at least avoid any negative connotations that self deprecation can have.

Don't people claim they don't take themselves too seriously rather than claim to be self deprecating. That does at least avoid any negative connotations that self deprecation can have.

I suppose, but I would class that as self-deprecation rather than having serious self-esteem issues.

Archived