People who can't take a joke - now that IS offensive

I think this article by Douglas Murray is excellent:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302662/People-joke--IS-offensive.html

It seems very timely after the Richard Dawkins' jibe that the burqa was that ‘full bin-liner thing’, and then the professional 'offence-takers' appeared to announce that they were offended.

Offence seems to be attaining some sort of currency, with some people demanding that their offence is worth more than anybody else's.

In this example, the 'offence' claimed by Brian Kelly, a Unison representative (no surprise there*), is obviously more important than the offence at wasting taxpayer's resorces on this nonsense.

:roll:

*No apologies for any offence taken by Unison representitives.

Funny how, even if the primary aim isn't necessarily to offend, you know someone, somewhere will be offended. Offence is the collateral damage of making a rigorous and controversial argument.

I am reminded of the Paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye. The intention of that episode was clear to anyone who actually understands SATIRE, yet you couldn't help but relish in the controversy and outcry from all the morons (no offence) who didn't get it.

Funny how, even if the primary aim isn't necessarily to offend, you know someone, somewhere will be offended. Offence is the collateral damage of making a rigorous and controversial argument.

I am reminded of the Paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye. The intention of that episode was clear to anyone who actually understands SATIRE, yet you couldn't help but relish in the controversy and outcry from all the morons (no offence) who didn't get it.

That was an amazing episode which made me cry laughing! I remember the man in Sheffield disguised as a school who was caught on CCTV. Brilliant.

The rules for 'political correctness' change rapidly and what was acceptable yesterday can be deemed totally inappropriate today, usually by someone being offended for a

third party. All this fuss about Muslims objecting to Christmas...no they don't! That little gem has been thought up by someone who has decided that Muslims probably should be offended. I think political correctness is a way of controlling us to the point where we are afraid to laugh about or discuss anything for fear that someone will declare that they have decided that just because the statement or viewpoint didn't offend them last year, last week or even yesterday, it offends them today.

thanks for posting that.very interesting. im now thinking of claiming compensation as im often offended by the chavs, beggars, drunks, charity collectors etc etc etc,. This time next year ill be a claims millionaire!!!

learning to cope with being offended is a part of life.

The bloke that made the claim should be utterly ashamed of himself for wasting our money going through court, and i hope he gives the money to charity. couldnt he just had a word with the chap telling the joke

That was an amazing episode which made me cry laughing! I remember the man in Sheffield disguised as a school who was caught on CCTV. Brilliant.

:hihi: Aww don't I'm in a very serious meeting in about 10 min and not gonna be able to keep a straight face now.

Archived