Singles record in 1960

DUFFEMS

I bought my first singles records in 1960 to play on my Dansette (grey with red lid), they were: The Drfiters "Save the Last Dance For me" and Johnny Tillotson "Poetry in Motion".

How much did they cost, it's not a trick question just, that I don't know the answer as I can't remember that's all.

Duffems

My first single goes a little further back. In the mid 50's-

'This Old House' by Rosemary Clooney This was a 78rpm, purchased at Cann's on Dixon Lane. My first L.P. was Buddy Holley, purchased just after he died. in '58, bought this one at Spooners on Langsett Ave.

I bought my first singles records in 1960 to play on my Dansette (grey with red lid), they were: The Drfiters "Save the Last Dance For me" and Johnny Tillotson "Poetry in Motion".

How much did they cost, it's not a trick question just, that I don't know the answer as I can't remember that's all.

Duffems

I have still got my Red and grey Dansette up in the loft. I used to buy my singles from Woolworths in 1960 and feel sure they were 4/6d still got lots of them as well. Thinking about it they were less than 5 shillings because I remember when they went up it seemed a fortune!

4/6d sounds about right I suppose, I really can't remember.

I was at a family wedding in Attercliffe and the older kids were allowed to leave the reception to go to a record shop in the main shopping area (I didn't know Attercliffe area) to spend our saved up pocket money at the local record shop.

I remember feeling so grown up with my first 2 records, I couldn't wait to get home to play them.

The following day my father remarked that he was "sick to deeath o' that O a tree in motion, why the hell's he singing abaht a tree". (Poetry in Motion).

Archived