Singles record in 1960

DUFFEMS

Woolworths used to have cover artists do all the popular songs and charged 6 pence(2 and a half pence)

Embassy records I think they were called.

Funny how British artist were looked down on pryer to the Beatle/Rolling stones era...

My first 68rpm was Jonny Ray."Just walking in the rain"

My first single was TELSTAR by the TORNADOES (early sixties) the b side

was JUNGLE FEVER on the DECCA label

all written by JOE MEEK I believe.

Can you remember how much they cost, that's what I'd like to know, just curious that's all.

Can you remember how much they cost, that's what I'd like to know, just curious that's all.

Reading back, it looks as if they were about 6/11 with the Woolies Embassy's covers being about 4/6. Thats how I read it anyway.

I bought my first singles records in 1960 to play on my Dansette (grey with red lid), they were: The Drfiters "Save the Last Dance For me" and Johnny Tillotson "Poetry in Motion".

How much did they cost, it's not a trick question just, that I don't know the answer as I can't remember that's all.

Duffems

I'm guessing the player was a Dansette Conquest, and that cost 21 guineas in 1960, I had one the same year, I had Apache & Man of Mystery by the Shadows, Sidesaddle, Russ Conway, It's now or never, Elvis and various others which escape me now.

I got my Dansette record player in 1956 it was my Christmas present. Had about 6 records, one was Mary's boy child, a Laurie London record that l cant remember the name of, and several others all were in the top ten at the time. Maybe other forumers can help me remember.

When I was 16 I bought my first single 'Living Doll' and I didn't even have a record player! It did give me the incentive to save my spending money though. Dad new I'd been saving for awhile so he put the rest to and went and got my grey and red record player and I think that was a Dansette. I think the next single I bought was Emile Ford singing 'I'd like to get you on a slow boat to China' remember that one?:)

When I was 16 I bought my first single 'Living Doll' and I didn't even have a record player! It did give me the incentive to save my spending money though. Dad new I'd been saving for awhile so he put the rest to and went and got my grey and red record player and I think that was a Dansette. I think the next single I bought was Emile Ford singing 'I'd like to get you on a slow boat to China' remember that one?:)

We must have had the same model Dansette. Mine came with a "free record" called Tall Paul it was the cheesiest thing you could imagine but, it was played endlessy until I could afford my first records.

We must have had the same model Dansette. Mine came with a "free record" called Tall Paul it was the cheesiest thing you could imagine but, it was played endlessy until I could afford my first records.

My cousin (Denlin) tells me our Uncle sold secondhand record players in his shop in town. so I wouldn't be surprised if Dad got it from there. I used to go to the Ebonezers games night around 1959-1960 and carried that thing right from Milnrow Rd right down to Barnsley Rd, that thing was heavy.:roll:

Archived