Singles record in 1960

DUFFEMS

Do you know that the list I gave you also has the 50's/70's/80's hits too, I only posted it because of the 60's being my interest.

It's a useful site for settling family arguments, we spent 2 hours the other night recalling happy times/memories/where you were when you heard that played etc.

Regards,

Duffems

Duffems.

I can remember as a young lad singing popular late 40s early 50s songs that we'd heard on the Wireless .

Sparrow in the tree tops -The rich maharajah of magador- Open the door Richard - My Trudy Trudy fair (Or as they used to sing at Hillsborough My Dooley Dooley fair) -Shooting fussing and a fighting. -Cruising down the river. -You are my sunshine.- Close the door their coming through the window.-Sweet violets -Jezebel..

All in a line, arms across each others shoulders, walking down the road...

Magic...

Duffems.

I can remember as a young lad singing popular late 40s early 50s songs that we'd heard on the Wireless .

Sparrow in the tree tops -The rich maharajah of magador- Open the door Richard - My Trudy Trudy fair (Or as they used to sing at Hillsborough My Dooley Dooley fair) -Shooting fussing and a fighting. -Cruising down the river. -You are my sunshine.- Close the door their coming through the window.-Sweet violets -Jezebel..

All in a line, arms across each others shoulders, walking down the road...

Magic...

Were most of these on the BBC Light Programme? "Music While you Work" springs to mind.

Were most of these on the BBC Light Programme? "Music While you Work" springs to mind.

To be honest although I remember that, they were live acts not records as I remember it, but there must have been records slipped in somewhere, though I can't remember any record programs back then.

The Jack Jackson and Sam Costa record type programs came later along with Radio Luxenberg ..

I guess you will remember the childrens songs too! puff the magic dragon, ugly bug ball, sparky and the magic piano, ugly ducking (wept buckets over that one!) kings new clothes etc. I was thrilled recently to buy a cd of old fashioned nursery rhymes for a baby boy of 14 months. His mum was very thrilled, and sang all the songs to William! Oh, and childrens favourites on a Saturday morning! Shame little ones don't share the same joys as we did!!!!!

Just Googled

Desert Island discs (1942-). 2 way family favourites (1947-)

Didn't know they went back that far, but it shows the record programs were there but only as request shows ..

Old record players like the Dansette had 4 speed turntables. 78 rpm for old singles, 45 rpm for EP's, 33 rpm for LP's and 16rpm. What the heck was the 16 rpm for?

I believe that 16 rpm was for some "speech" records which did not require the fidelity that higher speeds gave and would run longer, although I have never seen any of these discs.

Archived