Netto: Middlewood Rd - What did it used to be?

JanPud

I grew up near this building. When I was a child it was first opened as a cheap supermarket and for many years it was "supersave" before Netto came along.

Before it was opened as supersave and first converted to a supermarket, the raked floor had to be taken out. Originally the front entrance was raised by several steps so that the lobby at the front was a foot or two higher. They removed all the steps and put a level concrete floor across the whole premises so you can run a shopping trolley across the threshold. When they did this they extended the doorways downward to ground level. I used to talk to the workman as I walked past to school each day, I remember that they had shaped stone made so that all the door frames matched as they extended them down to ground level.

Before the conversion was done it was shut up and unloved for several years.

On the back, you can still make out the original name of it when a cinema.

"Hillsbro' Park Cinema".

here is a page from my website about the old lost sheffield cinemas.

http://thewookie.co.uk/cinemas/cinepho3.html

:)

From my diaries: "From Russia With Love", Sean Connery, Hillsborough Park Cinema, 24 June 1965. "Sheriff of Fractured Jaw", Kenneth More, Jayne Mansfield, Hillsborough Kinema, 14 November 1958.

Seems such a long time ago now....:(

Hey up folks,

Does anyone know what the above used to be? It looks as though it could have been a small cinema or something?

I cant find any pictures of it on picture sheffield and no related topics on here.

Thanks - just curious

:huh:

It was called the hillsborough park cinema.

• 1 month later...

I also remember it being a garage Montys Motors spring to mind i used to have a Honda sports car S 800 only 2 in Sheffield at that time 1970/71 that garage was the only one in Sheffield that did repairs on Hondas everything was Metric all other british cars were Imperial sizes had to send to France for spare parts.

The kinema was on proctor place near a bakery. Netto was the park cinema & i spent many a happy time in there with my girlfriend and saw some great films.

The building next door which is a car showroom was a snooker hall with 13 tables, some characters used to go in there during the 1960s

I was one of them :)"put lights on 13 please pop"your not one of the lads I used to play spoof with are you?

Archived