Let's all read the Quran together

"Prophet Muhammad was the first to write down the Quran revealed to him and when he died , the whole Quran was completely written, although not in one book, but rather on pieces of woods, papers, palm leaves, bones…etc."

Sounds like a graffiti artist.

yes- especially when you don't speak a word of arabic. And for your information, whatever was revealed to Muhammad went in to forming the Quran, he never questioned a revelation.:

And what proof is there of this so called revelation, anyone could make the same claims?

The Mormons made similar claims regarding instructions and yet where were the witnesses?

People who believe the word of a paedophile who married a little 9 year old girl are the ones who also must come into question regarding their staus in civilised society.

"Prophet Muhammad was the first to write down the Quran revealed to him and when he died , the whole Quran was completely written, although not in one book, but rather on pieces of woods, papers, palm leaves, bones…etc."

Ali woz here.

yes- especially when you don't speak a word of arabic. And for your information, whatever was revealed to Muhammad went in to forming the Quran, he never questioned a revelation.

The thread is a joke in itself- non muslims trying to 'explain' the Quran when scholars in exegesis of the Quran spend their lifetime studying it and understanding it. Hence why a simple 'english' translation never gives it justice.

The beauty of the Quran (and also why it is unchallengable) is partly due to its arabic- sent at a time when there lived the best scribes of the arabic language and not one was able to come up to even producing a single line.

Then there are people like you:hihi::loopy:

Is the western translation of Osama Bin laden, 'Human Dustbin'? meaning "Those who'll take owt in".:hihi::loopy:

yes- especially when you don't speak a word of arabic. And for your information, whatever was revealed to Muhammad went in to forming the Quran, he never questioned a revelation.
I didn't say he questioned it. I said: "According to one source I read, even Muhammad was not happy about it, but accepted it from Allah as a divine command!" The source is a Muslim apologist site. Relevant passage: "According to one tradition, (I apologise that I have not got the reference) when this verse was revealed the Prophet (pbuh) understood it as giving permission for men to beat their wives, and was actually sad. He was reported to have said: ‘I wanted one thing, but Allah willed another, and what Allah wills must be best.’ (Reported in Muhammad Abduh’s paper al-Manar 5.74)."

The thread is a joke in itself- non muslims trying to 'explain' the Quran when scholars in exegesis of the Quran spend their lifetime studying it and understanding it. Hence why a simple 'english' translation never gives it justice.
|Very revealing statement. You think that only Muslims, who must (presumably) already believe the Quran to be the perfect word of Allah, should examine the Quran? Non-believers should not try to understand it? Sounds like the kind of thinking that has meant that the likes of Christoph Luxenburg, who is subjecting the Quran to the same scriptural analysis that the Bible has been subject to for centuries, have to conduct their work under pseudonyms.

The beauty of the Quran (and also why it is unchallengable) is partly due to its arabic- sent at a time when there lived the best scribes of the arabic language and not one was able to come up to even producing a single line.
I've heard this before; the Quran is such perfect language that no mortal has been able to match it! But, you say yourself: "scholars in exegesis of the Quran spend their lifetime studying it and understanding it". A perfect creator transmitted a perfect and detailed text to his creations in language that is still not understood 14 centuries later.

Think about it: what is the purpose of language? To communicate, perhaps?

How incompetent must a being be to transmit a message that is still not understood centuries later?

Then there are people like you:hihi::loopy:
Please explain who people like me are. What am I like? Am I educated? Am I rich? Am I Caucasian? Asian? Semitic? Persian? Am I a *****? Am I Chinese? Do I speak Pushtu, French, Arabic, German, Hebrew?

No he wasn't, he was illiterate.

Surah 4:34 of the Quran explicitly orders men to beat their wives if disobedient:

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme."

I know there is a lot of debate about this surah and its precise meaning. According to one source I read, even Muhammad was not happy about it, but accepted it from Allah as a divine command!

Seems fairly easy to understand to me.

Is this serious?? :o

Is this serious?? :o

Look it up yourself. There are various translations, but they nearly all say pretty much the same about beating wives.

Apologists claim that the beating in question must only be light, so as not to leave a trace on the skin, and/or delivered with a thin stick. Some claim that the correct translation is 'separation' rather than 'beating' (light or otherwise). when apologists have differing excuses for yhe same thing, i'm inclined to be sceptical...

Archived