Let's all read the Quran together

LOL LOL

Of course theres a view on it, come on hard2miss do you really think that Allah in all his wisdom and mercy would have missed out on the old 'floods chestnut'

He was wise and merciful enough to recommend decapitating someone if they become an appostate bless him.

Thats what I really like about these peaceful religions with no agendas, that they can just leave people to live their lives without any intervention at all.

Hell, I may even convert myself as I could do with some liberation, freedom, understanding and encouragement of autonomy.

...and you weren't selectively quoting?

Surah 4:34 of the Quran explicitly orders men to beat their wives if disobedient:

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme."

I know there is a lot of debate about this surah and its precise meaning. According to one source I read, even Muhammad was not happy about it, but accepted it from Allah as a divine command!

Seems fairly easy to understand to me.

Surah 4:34 of the Quran explicitly orders men to beat their wives if disobedient:

"Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme."

I know there is a lot of debate about this surah and its precise meaning. According to one source I read, even Muhammad was not happy about it, but accepted it from Allah as a divine command!

Surah like these are just the kind of thing that these moderate Muslims appear to be against: Muslims Against Shariah

Quotes from site:

"The majority of the terrorist acts of the last three decades, including the 9/11 attacks, were perpetrated by Islamic fundamentalists in the name of Islam. We, as Muslims, find it abhorrent that Islam is used to murder millions of innocent people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike.....Unfortunately, Islamic religious texts, including the Koran and the Hadith contain many passages, which call for Islamic domination and incite violence against non-Muslims. It is time to change that. Muslim fundamentalists believe that the Koran is the literal word of Allah. But could Allah, the most Merciful, the most Compassionate, command mass slaughter of people whose only fault is being non-Muslim?"

Interesting approach. Not sure how much credibility they have with the Muslim community*, but encouraging stuff nonetheless.

* I'd just like to point out that I don't consider any but a very small minority of British Muslims to be swivel-eyed fanatics, but I do think that Quranic literalism is a very serious problem across all Islamic communities.

yes- especially when you don't speak a word of arabic. And for your information, whatever was revealed to Muhammad went in to forming the Quran, he never questioned a revelation.

The thread is a joke in itself- non muslims trying to 'explain' the Quran when scholars in exegesis of the Quran spend their lifetime studying it and understanding it. Hence why a simple 'english' translation never gives it justice.

The beauty of the Quran (and also why it is unchallengable) is partly due to its arabic- sent at a time when there lived the best scribes of the arabic language and not one was able to come up to even producing a single line.

Then there are people like you:hihi::loopy:

yes- especially when you don't speak a word of arabic. And for your information, whatever was revealed to Muhammad went in to forming the Quran, he never questioned a revelation.

The thread is a joke in itself- non muslims trying to 'explain' the Quran when scholars in exegesis of the Quran spend their lifetime studying it and understanding it. Hence why a simple 'english' translation never gives it justice.

Total cop out.

How is learning Arabic going to make a passage instructing people to beat their wife not be a passage instructing people to beat their wife?

How can you take film reviews seriously? Surely they don't know what they're talking about unless they believe the film is real?

Or does that logic only apply to religious texts?

Archived