Spelling mistakes

If that is all that bothers you then I feel sorry fo you. Police grammer people should get a life and stop complaining about those that do not have a higher level of the English Language that you have.

This is a forum, not a platform for an English exam open to marking by people like you.

Let people express their oppinions on the subjects posted regardles of their spelling or grammer.

And let people express their opinions about the subject of spelling, eh?

Scottish schools in the 50s would never have let us get away with a fraction of the poor spelling and grammar seen nowadays. :o They were great believers in the basics. Another related thing they insisted on was correct speech in school. No slang, no dialect, just standard English. Being able to speak appropriately is useful for situations such as interviews. But I don't think this happens in schools at all now. :(

And let people express their opinions about the subject of spelling, eh?

Scottish schools in the 50s would never have let us get away with a fraction of the poor spelling and grammar seen nowadays. :o They were great believers in the basics. Another related thing they insisted on was correct speech in school. No slang, no dialect, just standard English. Being able to speak appropriately is useful for situations such as interviews. But I don't think this happens in schools at all now. :(

In my job I regularly check reports and other documents created by Engineers. The standard is worryingly poor. I'm not particularly good. I tend to create long, rambling sentences. But at least I know I do and work to make it better.

The big issue for me, at work, is "could of", along with should and would. It happens a lot. Poor grammar makes the company look incompetent. It doesn't matter in a forum, but it does matter at work, and when people don't know that they are doing it incorrectly.

I don't think it really matters as long as we get the gist of what people are saying.

There are a few posters on here who seem to take great delight in criticising other's spelling/grammar and then a few posts later make a mistake themselves.

People type in a rush or hit the wrong key .. it's not that important.

I really don't like all these 'you can't spell' posts..it's a form of bullying IMO, trying to make one poster feel a bit superior to the other for one sad little moment in their life.

It would be a shame if people were put off posting because some nerd kept highlighting all their errors.

well said not all of us are as clever as others

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment that on this forum it doesn't matter about the spelling it is a bit worrying that off forum some people really do have a lack of spelling ability. I know in the past that when I have read through job application forms some have been discarded due to poor spelling. Obviously it depends what job people have applied for, in my case the applicants would have had to write reports which would have been issued to customers and others outside of the company.

In my job I regularly check reports and other documents created by Engineers. The standard is worryingly poor. I'm not particularly good. I tend to create long, rambling sentences. But at least I know I do and work to make it better.

The big issue for me, at work, is "could of", along with should and would. It happens a lot. Poor grammar makes the company look incompetent. It doesn't matter in a forum, but it does matter at work, and when people don't know that they are doing it incorrectly.

It doesn't matter in a forum, but it is probably an indication of a general decline in writing standards. I think you're absolutely right about the image of the company. I regularly see a minibus with the misspelt word 'occassion' in very large letters. That tells me the coachpainter has got it wrong, and the owner hasn't noticed. :roll: Not the best advertising for either!

It's not the spelling that gets to me as much as the people that post one huge paragraph with no full stops or capitals, or they put several .... after each lump of information.

The rules are quite simple, capital letter at the beginning of a sentence and a full-stop at the end.

Archived