Spelling mistakes

I was always pretty good at English, it was always my strongest subject academically.

Most of the mistakes I make are typos.. but I have noticed that when I am responding to someone who writes in the "way that they speak", I occasionally find myself doing this too.

Is spelling important on the forum? I don't think it is so, as it can come across as snobbery... I mean there's a whole load of different people from different backgrounds, and with different abilities, that take the time to write. That for me makes the forum. The only time I get annoyed is when I see someone deliberately trolling at someone and then I might point out that their spelling would indicate they are not in a position to be heckling at anyone.

I think there's a time and a place for ensuring spelling and grammar is correct. If I'm working and get an email then I do notice mistakes, and it used to quite rile me. Having said that I never pull people up on it, as it's not my place to. By doing so, I may come across as anal, and I work with a bunch of people who are skilled in other areas.

When all is said and done I don't think spelling is the be all and end all

Well after reading the rest of this post, I feel that we have some sad people who are only intrested in spelling and grammer and have a great pleasure in telling people their mistakes. Get a life there is more to life than spelling.

Why is it so important to be grammaticly correct on a forum, people are trying to express their oppinions regardless of their level of intelegence you lot run the risk of putting those who do not have the English skills to your level will stop posting due to embarrisment.

Leave it alone and post with a subject with content.

Spell check is good, but if you do not know how to spell a word how do you know the correct one to choose

Why is it so important to be grammaticly correct on a forum, people are trying to express their oppinions regardless of their level of intelegence you lot run the risk of putting those who do not have the English skills to your level will stop posting due to embarrisment.

Because, generally, it's much easier to understand a post when it's written well. It doesn't have to be perfect, but someone who's taken time to think about how they're writing their post, has probably thought about what they're posting too. There's a real correlation between people who just bash letters on the keyboard and people who feel they have to say something, not because they have something interesting or relevant to say, but because they can.

Also, sensibly written posts (again, doesn't have to be perfect), being more understandable also means there's less chance of misunderstanding what the poster means. Again, there's a correlation between people who's posts look like their cat typed it for them, and those who get very upset and angry when someone asks what they mean, or mistakenly tells them they're incorrect when it's just they've been misinterpreted.

It's not a race to post, and there's no real limit in the number of characters people can use in a post, so there's no need to be in such a rush that their posts come out like alphabetti spagetti.

A wise person once wrote "if you can't be bothered to spend time writing your posts, why should we be bothered spending time reading them?".

:hihi::thumbsup:

Nope (spelled doesn't exist).

According to Oxford online dictionary spelled does exist, see my quote below.

verb

(past and past participle spelled or chiefly British spelt)[with object]

1 write or name the letters that form (a word) in correct sequence:

Dolly spelled her name

So we can choose how we spell the word spelled. :hihi::hihi:

So we can choose how we spell the word spelled. :hihi::hihi:

It's an alternative spelling, mainly from America, but i'll be a language snob and say i don't like it. Some verbs do have irregular past participles, and it isn't too hard to remember them.

Ringed is another, from 'to ring'. "I have ringed you." I'd rather vomit.

Today I was walking past a shop and in the window they were advertising some "draws" for sale - whatever they may be!!! :huh: It wasn't an art shop so it wasn't pencils. :suspect: It wasn't a lingerie shop, so it wasn't knickers. :suspect: Ah! it was a furniture shop - now I wonder, could it possibly have been a set of "DRAWERS"??? :roll::huh:

Well after reading the rest of this post, I feel that we have some sad people who are only intrested in spelling and grammer and have a great pleasure in telling people their mistakes. Get a life there is more to life than spelling.

Not that I'm sensitive or anything but, if you're including me in that generalisation, please note that I've only pointed out the errors of the person who started the thread - complaining about errors.

Oh, and a little light hearted pedantry with a pedant.

That ok for you?

Today I was walking past a shop and in the window they were advertising some "draws" for sale - whatever they may be!!! :huh: It wasn't an art shop so it wasn't pencils. :suspect: It wasn't a lingerie shop, so it wasn't knickers. :suspect: Ah! it was a furniture shop - now I wonder, could it possibly have been a set of "DRAWERS"??? :roll::huh:

It's funny but its nowt to write home about is it, maybe you could comment on the amount of Uni students who supposed to be clever but act like total idiots..:hihi:

It's an alternative spelling, mainly from America, but i'll be a language snob and say i don't like it. Some verbs do have irregular past participles, and it isn't too hard to remember them.

Ringed is another, from 'to ring'. "I have ringed you." I'd rather vomit.

I've never heard of 'I have ringed you'. I always thought it was 'I rang you' or 'I have rung you'. This English language is more twisted and tortured than I thought. Mind you I haven't thought much about the language I murder every day. :hihi:

Archived