The Guardian Guide to drinking real ale in Sheffield

Stoatwobbler

Just thought I'd post this from yesterday's Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/aug/14/pub-crawls-days-out

Sheffield has more different beers on tap than any other British city, and the smart Supertram could almost have been designed to link the best pubs.

Arriving by train (you won't want to drive), the most difficult part is dragging yourself away from the city's biggest selection of British and imported craft beers in the stunning new Sheffield Tap on platform one. But be strong. Cross the footbridge to the tram stop, board one for Malin Bridge and buy a cheap day ticket.

Alight at West Street, in the buzzing student quarter, for the Devonshire Cat's huge range of cask ales and Belgian beers. Then admire the Victorian decor at the Bath Hotel pub round the corner at 66-68 Victoria Street.

One more stop and you'll find the University Arms on Brook Hill, then it's two more to Shalesmoor for the Kelham Island Tavern, and the Fat Cat, the pub that started and still inspires the city's craft beer scene. And if you like excellent beer served with a side order of attitude, you could always pop into the Wellington in Henry Street.

Two more stops brings you to the Hillsborough Hotel where you'll find friendly people, a brewery in the cellar turning out an eclectic range of excellent brews, and outrageously good value accommodation to sleep the whole thing off (54-58 Langsett Road, hillsborough-hotel.co.uk, doubles from £50 B&B). Or just catch a tram all the way back.

We were discussing the "side order of attitude" in The Wellington last night :D

Yes. I don't exactly agree with that line myself.

On the other hand, the landlord of the Colchester Fat Cat loved this article and was showing it to most of his customers yesterday. It helped that he had a Kelham Island beer on of course!

Yes. I don't exactly agree with that line myself.

On the other hand, the landlord of the Colchester Fat Cat loved this article and was showing it to most of his customers yesterday. It helped that he had a Kelham Island beer on of course!

I thought it was quite appropriate, the bar staff and customers both contribute to this in a good way and it is part of the special atmosphere of the pub.

... and it is part of the special atmosphere of the pub.

thats one way of putting it... only been in a few time (in both its Cask & Cutler and present guises) but never really enjoyed the atmosphere.. still each to their own.. the landlord & regulars seem happy enough - so think i'll leave them to it...

I've been drinking in The Wellington since the first day it re-opened and Richard, the now owner, was barman.

It has always had character. Neil and Sheila were characters, she could be be a bit abrasive at times e.g telling people off ("you're not here to enjoy yourselves") for laughing loudly but they both had hearts of gold.

The bar staff they've had through the years have, on the whole, been smashing. Gary is lovely in a Gimli from Lord of the Rings sort of way and Gee and Lou, the current landlords are great as well.

It has its idiosyncrasies. But I still love it.

(Some of the punters who clog the bar up could do with culling though) :D

Archived