Anyone studying law in September

How so Moosey?

1. Pay is not what people think it is.

2. The clients are often a nightmare. They are either annoyed at the law and blame us, or they're neither happy nor sad. In 15 years I can count on one hand the number of times a client has said thank you, despite sending out around £1m in damage a year to my clients.

3. The paperwork is getting ridiculous.

4. The public will generally hate you. Regardless of the truth, the media impression of lawyers is very bad, and people, particularly a lot of the people on here only listen to the lies of the media. I have never, in my career, charged a client. I'm part of a charity committee that gives away around £30k a year to good causes, and do lots of volunteer work, such as reading to school kids etc. Events over the next 6 months include 3 marathons, sleeping on the street to support the homeless, and climbing the equivalent of everest, yet still, despite the fact that there are lots of lawyers doing these things, we're as popular as Ian Huntley in Mothercare, for want of a better example. No one wants thanks, but it'd be nice not to be seen as basically scum.

So there you go. That's why I don't enjoy it.

1. Pay is not what people think it is.

2. The clients are often a nightmare. They are either annoyed at the law and blame us, or they're neither happy nor sad. In 15 years I can count on one hand the number of times a client has said thank you, despite sending out around £1m in damage a year to my clients.

3. The paperwork is getting ridiculous.

4. The public will generally hate you. Regardless of the truth, the media impression of lawyers is very bad, and people, particularly a lot of the people on here only listen to the lies of the media. I have never, in my career, charged a client. I'm part of a charity committee that gives away around £30k a year to good causes, and do lots of volunteer work, such as reading to school kids etc. Events over the next 6 months include 3 marathons, sleeping on the street to support the homeless, and climbing the equivalent of everest, yet still, despite the fact that there are lots of lawyers doing these things, we're as popular as Ian Huntley in Mothercare, for want of a better example. No one wants thanks, but it'd be nice not to be seen as basically scum.

So there you go. That's why I don't enjoy it.

Thanks for that.

I'd love to change, but I'd have to retrain, and start at the bottom again I imagine.

I don't know which branch you're engaged in Moosey, but a mate of mine did the barrister conversion, which is much easier now for qualified solicitors I believe? He's having the time of his life! My own lad did law, and never had any interest in it after qualification, he works in a totally unrelated field now, which he thoroughly enjoys.

I don't know how old you are, so forgive me if it sounds like a patronising tone, but I always thought I was too old/lazy/thick to do something else, and I look back now and see it would have been really achievable. Dont feel you're unable to change, your existing qualifications will place you half way up the ladder of whatever ladder you're staring at :)

Archived