Tony Blair to donate his book advance to injured soldiers

It'd take a better person than me to ignore the glaring pile of dead soldiers and say "Well done Tony, Admittedly you sent these poor folk to their death due to poor intelligence, even worse kit and your desire to go down in history ....... But well done you".

I think you're pretty generous to say it was from "poor intelligence". I think the intelligence was cooked to make a case for war, deliberately.

I have to ask because i have seen this claim a lot of times but no-one has ever said exactly what law he has broken in terms of him being a war criminal - why exactly is he a war criminal?

And note that "illegal declaration of war" would not make him a war criminal.

Others don't agree. I lifted this from the Mirror to stop you sneering about articles from any sensible papers.

Tony Blair could still face prosecution for war crimes, leading lawyers warned.

The claim came after two senior Foreign Office lawyers, Sir Michael Wood and Elizabeth Wilmshurst, told the Iraq inquiry the invasion was against international law and amounted to a “crime of aggression”.

Human rights lawyer Sir Geoffrey Bindman yesterday said there was a case for taking action against Mr Blair for waging an unlawful war.

He said: “I would not be surprised if a prosecution were attempted in the UK. The difficulty would be to establish his personal responsibility for specific crimes against UK law.”

Sir Geoffrey said there would be serious difficulties in making the case but these were not “insurmountable”.

He added: “It’s very doubtful whether there’s a crime of aggression in domestic law, but that would be the most obvious criminal offence.”

Fellow lawyer Philippe Sands QC, professor of international law at University College London, said Mr Blair could face prosecution in another country – and claimed the former PM had already started altering his travel arrangements as a result.

Mr Sands said: “When Tony Blair travels he now gets legal advice on where he can go and the pattern of extradition agreements.”

He said there were about 50 countries in the world which had enshrined the crime of aggression into their law and would therefore be unsafe for Mr Blair to visit.

These include many South American states and some Eastern European countries including Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan.

Mr Sands added: “The possibility of a national prosecutor going after Blair in some foreign jurisdiction is reasonably high.”

“I cannot think of a single international lawyer who thinks the war was lawful. Not a single name comes to mind.

“That’s got to be telling.”

Archived