How much would you pay to live in Parkhill?

chem1st

How much?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• I wouldn't, or less than £1
    • £1 - £9999
    • £10k - £25k
    • £25k- £50k
    • £50k - £75k
    • £75k - £100k
    • £100k - £200k
    • £200k - £500k
    • £500k - £999.999k
    • £1 million +

Having lived there a long time ago, I wouldn't be in any hurry to return, no matter how much they try and glam it up....it's still an eyesore and always will be, the only true way to glam that place up is to bring to rubble and ashes...

Agreed can't believe they are wasting money trying to do them up like you say its an eyesore.

The poll says it allo really.

I'll reserve judgement til they're finished. If the development is completed to a high standard, and there are nice shops and cafes/bars, and a good mix of residents, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a nice place to live. I can't imagine an organisation like Urban Splash spending all that money if they don't think they will get some pay back for it.

I'll reserve judgement til they're finished. If the development is completed to a high standard, and there are nice shops and cafes/bars, and a good mix of residents, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a nice place to live. I can't imagine an organisation like Urban Splash spending all that money if they don't think they will get some pay back for it.

Agree there Mrs Macbeth!

Like what, more dull, bland apartment blocks like the ones in town, or the perennial SF favourite, a "nice park" ?

Why apartment blocks? why not just normal houses? no one likes the site of those awful buildings, its an embarrassment to sheffield

I haven't read all of this thread, but I get the gist of it.

My tale goes back a few years. Back to 1969 to be precise. That's when I came to Sheffield to live. I can clearly remember getting off the train earliesh in the morning, after having travelled all night.

I was young and tired, but also full of optimism at the new life ahead of me. That is until I saw what I thought was a giant prison looming up in the background. Was that Hyde Park?.......all the same sort of building regardless of it's name.

My first impressions of Sheffield were pure doom and gloom seeing that monstrous construction which seemed to block out all of the early morning sunshine.

Those impressions have stayed with me for over 40 years now. I was a newcomer to the city and my first impressions were so bad that I wondered if I'd made the biggest mistake of my life.

If I felt like that then how many others did as well?

As the years rolled on I learnt about the history of the place. Would I live there? You can bet your bottom dollar that I wouldn't!

As far as I'm concerned those buildings don't do Sheffield any favours whatsoever. They can tart them up as much as they want but they will still be ugly and should have been blown up years ago.

Each to their own though........give me the rolling hills and beautiful landscape surrounding Sheffield any day of the week. :love:

Why apartment blocks? why not just normal houses? no one likes the site of those awful buildings, its an embarrassment to sheffield

Because normal houses will cost much more to build (and buy) and won't house as many people ?

I would have thought that the land there would be pretty valuable given the position, so unless they built houses to be sold for £500K plus it would make more sense to build an apartment block with 6 floors, selling at £120K each.

Its people that make an area run down not buildings!!

When they first opened they were lovely and so much better than the run down slums they replaced. Two members of my family lived in there when they were first done and loved it. They had a great view of the city and proper modern facilities. (a quick look in any history book will show what the area was like before they were built)

Its when the drug users and low life moved in that the area declined. After a while the good people move out and you are left with the s**t. Its the same everywhere....not just blocks of flats.

There are plenty of blocks of "ugly" 60's flats built but if they are in a good location they are worth a fortune to sell or rent.

Park Hill, Castlegate and Sheaf Valley are changing. I cant wait to see them when they have finally been done up. Most local authority built flats are twice inside than by some trendy building firm.

Archived